• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pulled b230f ( skinny rods ) Conn rod swap?

VolvoEmpire

What does it swap the rods?

Is there an easy button way?

I noticed forged rods are pretty cheap online, just those guys and bearings maybe?

This motor has great compression still I have not decided whether or not I want to pull the head off of it yet. I was just thinking of cleaning, resealing and adding the beefier rods with maybe a new cam.

Unless you're planning on making "monster" power, the "skinny" rods aren't going to break on you....save your money on something more pressing issues like fixing leaks. If it isn't broke don't **** with it.

Agreed 100%. I had 318k on my "skinny rod" B230FT when the car was rear ended, motor held up just fine. If you're going to bother replacing the rods, do a full rebuild, I guarantee once you tear apart the motor you'll find all sorts of stuff that is in less than pristine condition.

That depends on what you're doing. On a stock motor, or even with a little extra boost the 9mm rods don't break. The thing that breaks them is going nuts on boost, constantly revving the hell out of the thing or running it out of oil. The rods are not the only deficiency in the early B230s either when it comes to big power, the crank bearing layout is different and more prone to crank flex which breaks rods.

Like I said, either rebuild or swap the whole motor, don't waste time swapping rods. You're more likely to screw something up than to make it better.

Kool-Aid_Man.jpg

Yeah, it can happen, but was that a stock motor running stock boost levels?

I've seen holes in naturally aspirated motors that were run out of oil or over-revved, thicker rods are not going to solve that. Also as I mentioned above the rods are only part of the equation when pushing more power out of earlier B230s. Crankshaft flex is a major contributor, reduced by design changes in the later blocks.

Also as I mentioned above the rods are only part of the equation when pushing more power out of earlier B230s. Crankshaft flex is a major contributor, reduced by design changes in the later blocks.

We had no issue passing 400whp on earlier B230's. Stock crank and block still intact 7 years later. Transmissions are a different story on that car......

True, seen this on a NA B230FB rallycar. That engine used an H-cam, was relatively fresh but it had to rev hard during rally stages.
Kaboomski. Same side, possibly even the same conrod #3?

Back