• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What would be the limit for tuning a S60 2,5T AWD geartronic

per0lund

I recently bought a S60(+R) 2,5T AWD -05 with the Getronics automatic transmission.

It is already tuned to 252 Hp by a 3" downpipe, and 100 cell race cat and a low restriction exhaust system and BSR software.

I want to upgrade it with a larger turbo, a TD04HL-20T and the green Bosch 0 280 155 968 injectors as I already have them "at the shelf".

But according to BSR it wont work, and they give no reason for that.

They sell a upgrade kit 318 hp with a similar equipment (except its a -18T) turbo.

However they say the kit only fits for the S60 2,5 AWD with stick shift.

As they are not interesting telling why, I t makes me wonder, may be the tranny cant stand the power, but as far as I know the genuine S60 R 300 Hp model have the same geartronic transmission.

None of the forums here in Sweden is very active so it?s difficult to ask about this over here.

Yes it is a 2005 year model.

The main reason is not really gaining a lot of extra power, but the tinny little stock turbo start glowing very quickly when pushing the car a bit.

The power in mid range is actually quiet nice.

Torque and boost drops quiet rapidly over 4300 rpm. so hopefully a larger turbo unit would improve performance in this.

Last edited:
Unlike the red block cars, the white blocks had really strong manuals, and fairly weak autos (keep in mind, most of my experience is with the older p80’s). I was running a 19t on my s70 when it was running, and the power would drop off around 5k rpm. I don’t imagine the 20t being much better.

Also keep in mind some people have managed to crack cylinder walls with a 16t and some spirited driving. The 2.5l walls are just too thin/weak to handle much abuse without adding sleeves. I’d recommend sliding over to volvospeed and contacting tightmopedman9. He’s done all of my tuning, and I’ve never had any problems! I’m not too sure if they’ve managed to crack me7 tuning, but I know there was talk of it. My s70 was mototronic 4.4

This car only has a 13T compressor and a size #6 exhaust housing, so I still would guess a -19T or a 20T would make some difference without increasing boost.

Last edited:
The 5 speed in the 04-05 s60R was weak. Volvo detuned first and second gears to make the transmission last. There are tuners out there that will remove the limitation. Hilton is probably your best bet for a real tune.

I guess transmission is what limits.

I still wonder how just a turbo swap would affect, keeping present boost gauge settings and software.

would it ruin my engine?

It would have more and cooler air at high rpm. but midrange would be quiet the same.

Back