• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

K15 cam Pics (heheh, just for pat ;) )

Hank Scorpio

Chubfest 2009 Survivor
300+ Club
Well, got my K15 from enem today thanks to one Mr Dave Lot!!! I'll have it in the car this weekend it looks like finally (he was shooting base coat when I went down there at 11am! :D )

So here ya guys go. Its up against a K cam (on the left). Hard to see the extra lift (but its there) but you can easily see the difference in lobe size. Much fatter..let peaky looking. I'll have dyno numbers in 2 weeks with it and the AIC (and some other goodies).

Doug

14232255.jpg

14232256.jpg

14232258.jpg

14232259.jpg

Ok heres the (brief) specs for those of you wondering:

V15: 256* duration 11.9mm of lift
K15: 292* duration 12.5 lift
OE K cam: 268* 11.95
VX: 245/243* and 11.37/10.66 mm

So obviously, its QUITE a bit bigger than the v15 and K. Heck I've got almost 50* more duration over the VX that's in there now!

keep me informed about that k15, cause I was thinking of searching a K-cam myself.

Send the picture in for the spring photo contest :wink:

Nice; I'm glad someone as thorough as you has gotten a cam this radical. Isn't the GR A T5 pretty radical too? Or was it the GT 6? I can never remember these cam names. Keep us posted Can you explain the significance of the difference in duration?

Duration is obviously the time the valve stays up in regards to degree's of rotation of the cam. So, it goes with out saying, longer the valve is open, the more air in/out.

It also looks like it "ramps up" for lack of a better term, quicker to peak lift than the K grind, hopefully allowing more air to enter the cylinder at earlier.

More lift means the valve is open more...once again, thats self explanatory.

Now, I'm not the worlds fore-most expert on valvetrain/cam dynamics but that should get you in the ball park.

Doug

cool that ain't so bad. fats repsonse, you must be on-line. You will see me on aim shortly. lol!

Good I am thinking of the right thing. Ya, the n/a grinds and the turbo grinds ARE different. That much duration can be used and streetable with wider lobe seperation...actually an old pontiac trick in the 60's. Probably want the wider lobe sep.' for turbo cars as they don't like loads of overlap apparently.

I may be asleep by the time you get on, so if I am, I'll cya tomorrow

Doug

doug242ti said:
Duration is obviously the time the valve stays up in regards to degree's of rotation of the cam. So, it goes with out saying, longer the valve is open, the more air in/out.

It also looks like it "ramps up" for lack of a better term, quicker to peak lift than the K grind, hopefully allowing more air to enter the cylinder at earlier.

More lift means the valve is open more...once again, thats self explanatory.

Now, I'm not the worlds fore-most expert on valvetrain/cam dynamics but that should get you in the ball park.

Doug

I understood lift, but duration was in question. Nice explanation, in layman terms for us "non-technical" people.

Another thing to consider is the the lobe seperation. With the 112* lobe centers, that creates low overlap, this also lets you get away with such large amounts of duration.

I realized I made a mistake about one thing. The size of the lobes being wider and less peaky looking than the K means that it doesn't reach peak lift faster, rather it's at the high end of its lift range longer.

Doug

Sure about the 112/12.5? Showing a couple different specs on the 292 turbo cam: 292/112/13.93 On the NA (a few different but most pertinant) 292/108/12.5.

Going to be an interesting cam to say the least.

JB

When are you installing this little beastie Doug? Be fun to follow the progress - I'm expecting you are going to have a powerband that moves up there quite a bit in the RPM range maybe 4500 - 7000 (just a guess).

JB

13.93? I suspect a lot of that will be wasted on stock valves sizes bro....
let us know what happens but I'm not convinced it's optimal for your app..

I ahs to agree with Kenny on this one (as most) - 13.9 is a very fast time to have for this sort of senario. In my oipinion the onlky way to acheive that is to have a total build and then to encorporate a few other 'tricks of the trade' as it were to insure that this is possible. Ihave found out that a lot of these things were done in my old muscle car days but now might be a bit different with this sort of senario. It's always easier to do too much when you look at these things so it is true that carefull approaches help the most in the long run.

LGIHT "EM UP!!!!!!!

Sinbad

VOLVOS RULE!!

Back