home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default Lost my main key

I lost the main key to my wagon and now all I have is what I believe they call a valet key. Doesn't unlock glove box or hatch. My question is, will I have to get all new locks and an ignition switch to get a new key? Or could I get new keys made that ARENT valet keys?
__________________
Current
-93' 244 m47-iPd sways, 13c, iPd cam, 2.5”
straight pipe
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, B-cam
-90' 744 AW70:( stock as a rock
Past
-80' 242gt m46-
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
spill it MClovin and WTF happens to your glasses you piece of ****..
Feedback Thread
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
vlvman
Board Member
 
vlvman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Default

Dealer can cut new keys for you. They will need proof of ownership.
__________________
Robert
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/
82 244DL, 2004 S60R AWD, 2008 S40 GF's
Had: 77 242 DL, 80 242 DL, 82 245 DL, 89 740 GL, 94 850T, 95 850 GL, and a 02 S60 2.4T
vlvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

PM Kjets On a Plane with your vin#
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlvman View Post
Dealer can cut new keys for you. They will need proof of ownership.
Just by the vin number? And if I bring the title lol
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
Just by the vin number? And if I bring the title lol


But it'll be $60+.

Did you PM kjets yet?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post


But it'll be $60+.

Did you PM kjets yet?

$60+ for a key!? Ef that. But yes I did. Just now.
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
$60+ for a key!? Ef that. But yes I did. Just now.
Maybe less but I doubt much, that seems to be about the going rate to have the pros cut a key from the codes.

If they can look up the codes...
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Maybe less but I doubt much, that seems to be about the going rate to have the pros cut a key from the codes.

If they can look up the codes...
Then how would kjet do it? Maybe I should just ask him haha
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
benski
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Wa. State
Default

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
$60+ for a key!? Ef that. But yes I did. Just now.
The Benz dealers typically charge $105.00 for the service, so in that perspective we Volvo owners are getting, uh, a bargain?
The $60 is still less than it would cost for a locksmith to make a new master key for your auto, and it would be based on a worn lock, not original.
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury
 
Kjets On a Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland
Default

IIRC the Valet and Master are the same other than the "master" key is thinner.

You should be able to dupe the valet key onto a master key blank or generic ILCO x140? I think it is and it will work for the glove and cargo area on a later model car.

Valet steel volvo keys last longer and are thicker. Who cares about locking the glove or any of that anyway? Trunk can lock with the power locks, glove I never lock, if they want in there they'll just break it rather than *maybe* just push the button and open it, and if locked they will for sure break it since they know its locked for a reason.
__________________
How PSI a stock can support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
IIRC the Valet and Master are the same other than the "master" key is thinner.

You should be able to dupe the valet key onto a master key blank or generic ILCO x140? I think it is and it will work for the glove and cargo area on a later model car.

Valet steel volvo keys last longer and are thicker. Who cares about locking the glove or any of that anyway? Trunk can lock with the power locks, glove I never lock, if they want in there they'll just break it rather than *maybe* just push the button and open it, and if locked they will for sure break it since they know its locked for a reason.
Honestly the thing that annoys me most is how I can't unlock my passenger door with the key. And I like to be able to lock the hatch lol. But so if I ask them to make me a copy but use a thinner (normal sized) key it might work as a master?
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
benski
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Wa. State
Post

I don't think the thickness of the key has much to do with the end result of how it's cut and the tumblers that key fits. If you dupe a valet key, you'll have another valet key.
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

On late model 240's the only difference between a master key and a valet key is one of the lengthwise slots on the side. Not the tumblers. Some of the locks have an extra ridge that requires the extra slot.

So if you get a master blank, you could have it duplicated from your valet key.
__________________
'63 PV Rat Rod
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?
 
Marvelous3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
I lost the main key to my wagon and now all I have is what I believe they call a valet key. Doesn't unlock glove box or hatch. My question is, will I have to get all new locks and an ignition switch to get a new key? Or could I get new keys made that ARENT valet keys?
The dealer will need your registration and your drivers license to have Volvo NA cut you a new key.

And $60 is easy. New BMW keys are $222.68 when the battery - not if - dies.
__________________

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
Xovaan
drunk, alone at applebees
 
Xovaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal (Carlsbad, CA)
Default

My '84 240T has to unlock the trunk with a separate, smaller key. Is this the valet key you guys are talking about? Is this normal?
__________________
1993 245 + B230FT
2007 Bandit 1250
Xovaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

No, the newer cars (not sure what year it changed) use the same key in all locations. There are two versions of the key, the master opens everything, the valet works on the doors and ignition only, in theory you could give that key to a parking valet and they couldn't get into the trunk or glove box.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #17
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
On late model 240's the only difference between a master key and a valet key is one of the lengthwise slots on the side. Not the tumblers. Some of the locks have an extra ridge that requires the extra slot.

So if you get a master blank, you could have it duplicated from your valet key.
This is exactly what I want to hear. It's a 93 240 so it's definitely late model. Does the blank master have to be a volvo key or any blank master will work?
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
This is exactly what I want to hear. It's a 93 240 so it's definitely late model. Does the blank master have to be a volvo key or any blank master will work?
If it's not a Volvo blank it might be a valet blank. Part of the reason I know about the keys is from my daughter's 90 240 sedan, she lost the master key, and only had a valet key. She took it somewhere to to have a duplicate made, and the blank they used was a valet key as well. I'm not sure if the place that duped it knew the difference.

After looking at the master and valet keys on my '93 wagon I took a dremel and ground down the ridge on her new dupe and 'converted' it to a master key.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If it's not a Volvo blank it might be a valet blank. Part of the reason I know about the keys is from my daughter's 90 240 sedan, she lost the master key, and only had a valet key. She took it somewhere to to have a duplicate made, and the blank they used was a valet key as well. I'm not sure if the place that duped it knew the difference.

After looking at the master and valet keys on my '93 wagon I took a dremel and ground down the ridge on her new dupe and 'converted' it to a master key.
Him what "ridge" but I'll try to find a place that has a MASTER key and I'll have it cut from my valet.
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

Looking at them again, there's really only one 'ridge' - just next to the carved area. Both the master and the valet keys have it, really skinny ridge. But the valet key has this ridge at full height, the master keys ridge is shorter.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
ADent
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default

My dealer cut me a key on the spot for $10 about 5 years ago for my 88 745. This has a plain key, not the "laser cut" key.
__________________
98 S70 5sp - Kid's car
96 854GLT - Daily driver
88 745GLE 5.0 - (5.0/T5)
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #22
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Well I wound up losing my valet key too haha I have the dealer my vin and title, $46.00 gave me a new master key. Not bad.
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.