home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Maximillion
Lurker

Default Zen in the Art of Volvo Maintenance

This summer I rebuilt my family's dying volvo 245 glt. I installed an intercooler, dropped in a rebuilt engine, replaced the entire suspension system, wiring harness, interior, and even added cruise control. All this was in preparation for the most grand road trip ever: one month, one man, one bad ass Volvo, and the Great American Desert. My goal was to hit every national park between Denver and San Diego, I was slightly delayed. The first week and a half was great (Chaco Canyon National Park may just be the coolest place on the planet), but that last sign as I headed through Kingman, Arizona that read: No Services Next 30 Miles still sticks in my head. 12 miles later... BOOM. That was my transmission. Fortunately, sometimes I still had 1st and 2nd gear. After three days at the Kingman KOA (wow, don't ever go there!), I found a transmission located in Las Vegas, 100 miles North. 11 hours, one blown tire, and 2 1/2 gallons of ATF later, I had my new transmission, in the back of my car. Thanks to Memo, a selfless parts puller who offered to help me do the work for pennies of what I could not afford to spend, my Volvo was back in action. He had worked a full day in a Las Vagas junk yard and had another full day ahead, but stayed up with me installing the damn thing till 3 am, my belief in the human race has been restored!
So I made it to California where I visited some family, then headed back for round two of the road trip. This time I was heading North, through Utah and all it's glory. With one day left, I was nearing I-70 and the home stretch when... BOOM. That was the head (the coolant line going into the engine blew). And this time I was 20 miles from a town, with no cell reception. To make a long story short: three days later I pulled up to my house in Denver with my beautiful volvo, on the back of a U-haul. Over the coarse of the road trip I also lost power steering, blew another tire, even cried once, I think I'll write a book. Anyway, I fixed the head in record time and was only a week late for school in Montana.
Now the car is running great, but my problem today is: The transmission I dropped into my car was from a 1990 and I have an '83. The speedometer used to plug into the transmission, now I am informed that they are electric, pulling their data from the rear axle. How hard, if possible is this change to make?
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
mikep
The MP

The tone ring is instaled on a groove cut in the differential. The sensor is in the cover.
If you have access to a newer rear, put that in. If not, you need a later diff and cover, and someone to help you put it in.
For the other end, you need a speedo and the extra wiring.
My advice is to drive the car as is, and find another trans later. Other options include buying a complete parts car.
Another possibility is changing the tailhousing on the trans, but that is only if the output shaft is compatible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
You should beat up the cat with a cheeseburger in your mouth to assert dominance
mikep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Sweet trip man!! How many miles total did you put on it? You just can't have a good roadtrip in a volvo without something going wrong, it's all part of the fun of it. Time to post some pictures.

In September I too took a month long roadtrip in my rebuilt 244, and pretty much had as many problems as you did. But we both prevailed!!! I put 7,400 miles on it.

Time to post pictures man.

John
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Wagner
Tbricks MIG Welding Champion

Sounds like you had one nice road trip with a few hick-ups. Be sure to remember that way-cool-and-friendly junk yard guy with something nice, after all chirstmas is just around the corner.

As was suggested the easiest way to convert to an electric speedo is to get a whole rear axle and the speedo cluster from a junk yard car.

Or if you like to spend big dollars to get an after-market speedo, you could also have a tone ring welded to your front wheel hub, and mount a sensor to the brake shield plate (preferably strenghtened).

Though getting the std. Volvo stuff will be a whole lot less involved.

Cops pulled me over. Papers, they said. Scissors, i replied. Still i did not win. Go figure.
Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Maximillion
Lurker

My odometer is broken but I think about 3500, minus the last 500 which were courtesy of U-haul. Pictures soon, not many though, my camera broke on the trip too!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Maximillion
Lurker

I don't even want to touch the rear axle, after market might be the way. It's going to be a fun weekend!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
Or if you like to spend big dollars to get an after-market speedo, you could also have a tone ring welded to your front wheel hub, and mount a sensor to the brake shield plate (preferably strenghtened).
A low-budget approach would be to cut grooves, or weld spots, on the hub. But if he has limited cobbling skills, not a good idea.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Maximillion
Lurker

Ok, how about this. Screw the speedometer, can't I just use the tachometer to find my speed and if so what are the ratios. The engine is a B21FT with an AW71 trans.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

uh ya'll are crazy

would not it be easier for him to just get the speedo gear, spacer and tailshaft housing off another AW70/AW71 out of a 240 and swap those onto his 90' AW71

did i read the thread right and everyone else just space or what?

he has an 83' 240glt ... and installed a 90' trans ... which means just use the tailshaft and gear and spacer off a 240 w/ the cable driven speedo as they swap right onto his current trans
Old 11-22-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
psy
Board Member

what you could do is just make sure you go as fast as everyone else if pass a bunch of people then your going to fast
psy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
ADent
Board Member

Just get a GPS unit. Most of the models (even the cheapy ones) have a current speed function.

Or borrow one and calibrate the tach (for level ground, constant speed since that tranny doesn't lock up?).
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #12
Wagner
Tbricks MIG Welding Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
A low-budget approach would be to cut grooves, or weld spots, on the hub. But if he has limited cobbling skills, not a good idea.
I haven't actually tried it, but it might even work to make the sensor sniff the wheel bolt heads on the backside. Though that's only 5 pulses per rotation.
Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
Just get a GPS unit. Most of the models (even the cheapy ones) have a current speed function.

Or borrow one and calibrate the tach (for level ground, constant speed since that tranny doesn't lock up?).
I have used the tach many many times, it works. Use a cheat sheat for various gears/speeds in town.

And yes, the GPS recievers are accurate in showing speed. I have a Magellan explorist, and it is very accurate, except the baro altitude is not auto-correcting for weather. But it has a good compass that works when sitting still, so I forgave it.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
I haven't actually tried it, but it might even work to make the sensor sniff the wheel bolt heads on the backside. Though that's only 5 pulses per rotation.
I thought of that, and was wondering if it would work to cut grooves in the bolt flanges to multiply the number of pulses.
Or build a cheap freq. multiplying circuit.