• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Water Pump- Bosch vs GMB vs Gates

I ordered a Blue box Volvo one for a 1800. Opened the box and it smelled like Harbor Freight. Made in China sticker on it. Not skookum at all

I have tried a Chinese non branded one and so far it is fine. Bought it on ebay. It was a direct copy of the old Volvo ones with an aluminum impeller and decent casting. An easy install. No hardware and cheap gaskets though.

I get Gates. Always. They've been an OEM supplier for a long time, I started using Gates when I looked up OEM Honda timing belts parts back in the day and the Honda parts listings specd Gates as the supplier. So I just bought direct from them for half the price. Never looked back, never had an issue.

Probably the Gates pump, since I hear they're doing a lot of OE work these days. I just installed one and it's fine.

I was just sad I paid $$$ for it when I could have spent $$ for the Gates brand or whatever.

The whole car got sold and shipped back to Sweden, so it'll be someone else's problem if it does not last. :-P

I’ve had decent luck no matter what pump I install. I think I used a cheap advance auto pump and the seals hardly leak up top after 3 years. Bet it would be fine if I used some good seals.

Volvo OE seals still the only ones worth a shot?

Back