• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

90 740 ticking after new wheel bearings

BR1CKHOUS3

I like the tuna here
Replaced the front wheel bearing assemblies in my 90 740. Used correct torque specs, anti seize, etc. Made sure the heat shields are clearing the rotors...

I can hear a ticking sound related to wheel speed, and braking does NOT seem to affect the noise. Can't feel anything through the steering wheel or the brake pedal. Sound could be coming from the rear, but it sure sounds like the front to me. Thoughts?

OGQ8RpOl.jpg

Jack up wheel.
Spin wheel.
No click? Take screw / nail / pebble out of tire.
Still clicks? Move heat shield / brake line away from inner wheel weights.
Still clicks? Check torque on ALL nuts (wheel and adapter in pic), and center cap.

Any chance you've got a dinged tone ring that's touching the sensor, or some crap on the end of the sensor?

Definitely worth jacking the front up, see if you hear it when spinning the wheel. Also as Ken mentioned, yeah, the hub nut should be torqued down while rotating the hub, keeps things from binding as it gets tightened. That's commonplace on most non-cartridge bearings.

All good intel in here.

I'll add 2 things. Were these wheel bearings supposed to be packed? It may just be the bearings slinging around in not enough grease?

2. When I did this on my Evo I forgot to resecure one of my braided brake lines and it was slowly getting sliced through by my wheel weights. So just be sure you check for clearance issues like that.

Noting all your tips :nod: Thanks guys!

More info:

-All hardware checked/re torqued
-No noise when car is jacked up/wheel spinning other than brake pad dragging on rotor
-Shields have been checked/cleared
-AFAIK These are install and go bearings
-The noise increases under load (cornering)
-'Tick' seems evident on both sides
-The sound is ~1 'tick' per revolution of the wheel

Edit: I did not set them up with the wheel rotating. Will try this tomorrow evening

Noting all your tips :nod: Thanks guys!

More info:

-All hardware checked/re torqued
-No noise when car is jacked up/wheel spinning other than brake pad dragging on rotor
-Shields have been checked/cleared
-AFAIK These are install and go bearings
-The noise increases under load (cornering)
-'Tick' seems evident on both sides
-The sound is ~1 'tick' per revolution of the wheel

Edit: I did not set them up with the wheel rotating. Will try this tomorrow evening

I have the exact same problem and have done the same checklist You have listed here. I also had a ABS sensor hitting the sensor ring slightly, but that made a whining sound at highway speeds and the ticking did not stop when I re-adjusted the sensor position to not hit the ring. Didn't set up mine while rotating either, I guess I'll have to try that as well.

Stupid one here, but worth a look, voice of experience here...

Do your wheels have clamp on weights or stick on weights?

I have to specific stick-on, since my current wheelset is close enough to the strut tube that the clamp on weights will scrape on the tube when backing out of the driveway with the wheels turned.

Since you put on new hubs, they could be just a touch shorter somewhere, wheel is just a touch closer, so when the car is on the ground the weights might be just close enough to touch. Worth a look.

I had rear parking brake linings that had separated from the shoes and were rubbing against the rotors that had led me to believe the noise was coming from the front. It was the rear.

Stick on weights, but I am taking the wheels off so I will inspect everything for signs of rubbing.

Looks like I should inspect the parking brake as well. Thanks lummert!

Re-torqued the spindle nuts with the wheels turning. The tick seems to be quieter, but it is hard to tell as sometimes it doesn't develop until a way into driving.

Good thing I had to get back in there though...I found evidence of a brake line rubbing on the tire :omg: Got some extra brake line clips in there and its good to go now, but I am definitely replacing the damaged line.

Tick is gone. Re torquing the nuts with the wheel turning seems to have alleviated the issue. Thanks RWC/maintenance!

Back