• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 installing rubber fuel pump isolator mounts

bobxyz

Board Member
The under car fuel pump mounts on a plate using 3 rubber isolators. Is there some trick to installing those isolators? If it matters, turbo K-Jet with aftermarket (MT?) parts from IPD (Volvo # 1346175, supersedes original # 1255018).

I tried my best last night and just couldn't get the ~1/2" rubber post to pull through the mounting hole far enough to seat correctly. Plenty of lube and lots of pulling/shoving. I even tore one isolator in half, and bent the metal plate a bit, while trying. What am I missing?

I've found it to be easier to do this on the ground when doing this on my 88 765. Remove the mount and everything attaching to it from the underside of the car.

Feed half of one side in at a time, then use a small screwdriver to 'walk-in' the remainder. Kind of a PITA tbh.

Don’t be afraid to use some Vaseline if you aren’t stuck on the side of the road. That stuff does wonders.

I finally got them installed but it sure wasn't easy. I ended up drilling out the holes, just slightly, to 1/2", and de-burring/chamfering the edges. With lube, a block of wood, channel lock pliers, and lots of force, I was able to finally pull/wiggle/pry the rubber posts through the holes. I felt like I was going to tear another one in half, but got them all in without further mishap.

I did have an old soft spare that came with the car that went in much easier than the other two new ones. The old worn out ones I removed were softer still. I'm guessing I just got a batch of extra hard rubber, or maybe they had hardened on the shelf.

Back