• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

69 Camero carb?

louiemalkovitch

Does anyone know what kind of Holley carb this is? I believe I need to adjust it but I can't find a number on the thing.

When I drive with the air filter off it runs great, but when I put the filter on it bogs out..

9z9NC.jpg

ehKY0.jpg

the source of the bogging is the vacuum secondaries, do you understand why this is the problem?
if not then don't bother trying to "tune" your carb until you do.

with or without good info however, if it runs well with no air filter then rather than messing with trying to tune it to match your restrictive air filter, simply get an air filter that flows well enough to not create a huge vacuum just upstream.

in other words - if the engine runs well, and the setup on the carb works until you put a restriction in front of it then simply fix the restriction and let the carb work as it is.

get a taller air filter and a brand new Holley street avenger. if that doesn't fix it then get a new engine.

the old carb it probably blown out anyway. new Holley carbs have blow out protection.

On the choke tower there is a list-xxxx number this will tell you what it is and whats it's offf from or ir it's aftermarket.Whick it looks like it is,buy a new paper element,see if it helps if not try tighting up the float bowls snug not reef em

There is no E in Camaro.

Sometimes an air filter housing that sits too low interferes with the carb linkage, but most likely...bad filter.

Some older Holleys for OEMs had #s on float bowl top. Also, is carbed jetted right for the engine? Holleys are sensitive to that in order to perform well.

I suggest you take it to someone well versed in Holleys, and let them set it up for you. Few Holleys(or other carbs for that matter) perform well "out of the box".

You need to jet it for the engine 'it's on. What CFM is the Holley? And what cam, heads, intake, bore & stroke of engine?

It may alo have a bad accellerator pump diaphram, or other problems

And BTW, it appears to be a Holley carb made for the OEMs, you'd be better off with a 650-780 cfm Holley depending on what is inside the engine, and how modded it is.

What is it? 350/370? 350/300? 327? 383 stroker?

Last edited:
They are bad to pop the power valve in the older carbs. If the engine coughs back, it will shoot them.

Yep, a Holley likes to eat those.

A OEM GM open element filter base ,filter, & top for the hi performance Chevy versions works well with holleys.

Matter of fact have been dyno proven to flow better,(this was in the 60-70s) as GM spent time on making the base shaped like a "venturi" to some degree, and is stamped to clear the linkgae as well.

Aftermarket ones can cause problems with linkage & hood clearance too.

Some older Holleys for OEMs had #s on float bowl top. Also, is carbed jetted right for the engine? Holleys are sensitive to that in order to perform well.

I suggest you take it to someone well versed in Holleys, and let them set it up for you. Few Holleys(or other carbs for that matter) perform well "out of the box".

You need to jet it for the engine 'it's on. What CFM is the Holley? And what cam, heads, intake, bore & stroke of engine?

It may alo have a bad accellerator pump diaphram, or other problems

And BTW, it appears to be a Holley carb made for the OEMs, you'd be better off with a 650-780 cfm Holley depending on what is inside the engine, and how modded it is.

What is it? 350/370? 350/300? 327? 383 stroker?

you and everyone else are giving wild advice - what are you people doing?

HE SAID THAT IT RUNS PROPERLY WITHOUT THE FILTER, OBVIOUSLY THE CARB IS SET UP - JUST LOOSE THE FILTER.

to the O.P.

go to the holley website and READ THE F.A.Q.'s

there is an entry there for your problem.

vacuum secondaries tip-in is f'd due to the added vacuum with the filter - you can swap springs or just FIX THE RESTRICTION

Running engine with no filter is not good advice. Sounds like it may be misjetted for running with a filter,could be air filter base interference, lots of things. Air filter base sounds like might be the problem to check 1st.

Running engine with no filter is not good advice. Sounds like it may be misjetted for running with a filter,could be air filter base interference, lots of things. Air filter base sounds like might be the problem to check 1st.

i never said to run without the filter.

my post is below.

your level of reading comprehension is a real problem.

also - the KNOW DOCUMENTED PROBLEM is probably the best 1st thing to check.
like i said before the holley website discusses this very issue on their website, i've personally dealt with this issue on a car as well, it is a common one.

if the car runs right with no filter, but runs wrong with it, then the problem is with the filter, simple. no retuning, no jetting, nothing but a restriction - again learn how the vacuum secondaries actually work and you will understand why a restrictive filter will cause this problem every time.

OR just go to the holley website and read their documentation CONCERNING THIS PROBLEM

the source of the bogging is the vacuum secondaries, do you understand why this is the problem?
if not then don't bother trying to "tune" your carb until you do.

with or without good info however, if it runs well with no air filter then rather than messing with trying to tune it to match your restrictive air filter, simply get an air filter that flows well enough to not create a huge vacuum just upstream.

in other words - if the engine runs well, and the setup on the carb works until you put a restriction in front of it then simply fix the restriction and let the carb work as it is.

in retrospect perhaps the initial recommendation should have been to ditch the holley on ebay and pick up a carter - the mechanical carb is just easier, and summit will have a drop-in that will work well, regardless of the ****ty air filter ... this, of course, only if you don't have the time or interest to learn how the holley works.

Last edited:
also - the KNOW DOCUMENTED PROBLEM is probably the best 1st thing to check.
like i said before the holley website discusses this very issue on their website, i've personally dealt with this issue on a car as well, it is a common one.

if the car runs right with no filter, but runs wrong with it, then the problem is with the filter, simple. no retuning, no jetting, nothing but a restriction - again learn how the vacuum secondaries actually work and you will understand why a restrictive filter will cause this problem every time.

OR just go to the holley website and read their documentation CONCERNING THIS PROBLEM

Well that's strange, because I've seen a hella lot of 60-70s cars OEM equipt with Quadra Jets & Holleys with OEM filters. Unless he has a filter sealed up somehow, it's hard to see how the filter could do that.

My Chevelle BBC 396/375 hp had the OEM GM fliter base top & filter, ran like a scalded dog. I had a GM QuadraJet( vacuum operated secondaries), & later a 780cfm dual line Holley, both with OEM filter and filter hsgs.

So what kind of air ilter does this?

QUOTE]

This is what I found on the Holley site.......... I'm presuming it's a vaccum secondary holley.

QUESTION I have a vacuum secondary carburetor that bogs when the secondaries come in. What will cause this?
ANSWER Bogging and hesitation are caused by the secondaries coming in too quickly. You can install a heavier secondary spring and this will prevent the secondary from coming in too soon. If the engine is sluggish in response at full throttle then the secondaries may not be opening soon enough. You will then need to go to a lighter spring. The spring kit is part number 20-13 which will have 7 different springs to fine tune with.

QUESTION My vehicle has a stumble from a dead stop. What can I do to cure this?
ANSWER The most common cause of a stumble is not having an adequate accelerator pump shot. The first thing to do is to look at the discharge nozzle and make sure you are getting a good strong pump shot. If not then you need to inspect the pump diaphram for a hole or tear. You will also need to make sure that the pump passage is clear from any trash or debris. First you will need to check the adjustment on the pump. To do this you will open the throttle all the way (WOT). Push the pump arm lever down and then adjust the pump override spring to obtain .015" clearance between the pump arm and lever. If you are having a stumble and no black smoke out the tailpipe then you will need to increase the shooter size. If it stumbles and you are getting black smoke from the tailpipe then it will be nessasary to decrease the shooter size.

Unless he has a filter sealed up somehow, it's hard to see how the filter could do that.
look, the carb is not oem, first-off.
neither is the mani ... in case you didn't notice.

sure, there could be some linkage hanging up, look and see, it should take 75 seconds and might be an easy fix ... but it's been a day already ... this is a well documented problem - take your lazy ass over to the holley website and read their frequently asked questions page.
this is discussed there.

i will repeat ...

... simply get an air filter that flows well enough to not create a huge vacuum just upstream.

and smokey - learn how to use the quotes properly - your posts are illegible as-is

Last edited:
This is what I found on the Holley site.......... I'm presuming it's a vaccum secondary holley.

wow took you long enough ... wonder how you got the idea to check the F.A.Q. on the holley website :roll:

wonder if your mind will catch up with the rest of the logic ... i won't hold my breath

He must have some helluva restrictive air filter then. Surely he's not using the "snorkle " filter for the palin jane engines. I had Edelbrock Torker intake, 500 lift/320 duration cam, Headers, on both the Holley & QuadraJet on my BBC & had no problems with vacuum operated secondaries with the OEM filter & it's OEM hsg. nor a tiny round 5" diameter filter.

I'd check the linkage 1st.

Back