• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gland nut stripped + shock tower stripped

Looks like handywork of previous mechanic that was not so handy.
Pictures are probably not necessary since both nut and shock tower thread are GONE!

Wanted to see what others have done in this situation besides the obvious answer to replace the strut assembly for this limping '93 240.

Looks like handywork of previous mechanic that was not so handy.
Pictures are probably not necessary since both nut and shock tower thread are GONE!

Wanted to see what others have done in this situation besides the obvious answer to replace the strut assembly for this limping '93 240.

You have two options, sit and stare at the stripped strut housing, or, replace it with one in good condition. This is one of many cases where a zip tie or 10 just isn't going to fix the problem.

I have a pair of ABS 240 strut housings. PM sent.

Last edited:
You can always cut them shorter and rethread the housings... and convert to coilovers with shorter struts. :-P

When you do get your (old) new stuff, be sure to slobber some never-seize on all the threaded parts. Probably not much need to state the obvious, but it's helped me out for decades around salt water installations.;-)

I'm glad you're not like 80% of the TB community and are going to send the car to the crusher, LOL!

I'm in Florida (NO RUST), I'll go pull one for you if you need me to. There's a couple 240s in my PnP. Send me cash for shipping/part/2$ for the picknpull entry and I'll get it. No big.

Going to Jordan Used Auto Parts. Looks like they have 2 of what I need to move this brick again. Found many local through www.car-part.com. Beats calling around.

Getting some much needed upgrades since the shocks and bushings play too. Being modest in making it a bit tighter.

Thanks for all the comments and reassurances. Nice to see such stimulating minds.

Back