• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Resurrection?

dogdriver

Hi guys. First post here. I've acquired an '89 740 Turbo wagon. It has a broken timing belt and 220k on the meter. I discovered the broken belt by cranking the engine over while looking in the valve cover and seeing that nothing is moving. Has not been running for five years. It's completely intact with straight body and no rust. I would like to know what things I should consider that are specific to these cars before I purchase a timing set and try to wake this thing up. I'm assuming that all was well before previous driver broke the belt...

Thanks!
John

Thanks! I sure would like to assess the engine with a compression test before I spend money on it. All I can think to do is pull the spark plugs and valve cover, spray a little lube in the cylinders and just move the cam manually to TDC for each cylinder and check it that way. I've never done a compression test with a broken belt..Given that it's non-interference I guess that could work. Any suggestions?

Thanks! I sure would like to assess the engine with a compression test before I spend money on it. All I can think to do is pull the spark plugs and valve cover, spray a little lube in the cylinders and just move the cam manually to TDC for each cylinder and check it that way. I've never done a compression test with a broken belt..Given that it's non-interference I guess that could work. Any suggestions?

You could do leakdown without cranking the engine, but you'll need the equipment for it.

A timing belt is so cheap and easy if just slap one on there (timed properly) and start the car. They are non interference unless someone installed the IPd turbo cam.

Sounds like you found a good car. The 740 wagons are going up in value.
I think draining the existing gas and changing the oil would be a prudent investment before "waking it up".

The water pump would be another good candidate for replacement while you're in there.

Back