• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

I like it! The black looks better with the body color IMO. Congrats on the new addition to your family!

Do you plan to put the front bumper on or leaving it off?

I like the front end. That said, a little chin spoiler up front to balance out the drastic curve up from the core support and bottom fenders would look really good, like this:

IMG_0975.jpg.e32fcd9a813e002f34925bfd58441c19.jpg

Thanks, guys. The bumper comes and goes. It’s off right now and I kind of like it, but it does work better when the car is SLAMMED. Harlard’s point about the lack of a chin spoiler is valid. I’ve thought about a lot of options. Just haven’t decided. Mostly because that whole front panel is dented and beat up anyway. It’s hard to get too into the details with this car, when the paint and body are so rough.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zAO6DWaGHGI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't seem to get this video to embed. It's a 3rd gear pull from 3k to 6k rpm, on a closed course, obviously. I have the MBC set to 20 psi, and from 5500 to 6k, it creeps to 25 psi. I'm sure it would creep higher if I stayed on it. This turbo feels damn good, and I really want to stabilize the boost so I can pull to 6800 rpm (I think that's the limit on my LH tune; Gary, can you confirm?)

Looking at my waste gate setup, would you blame the turbine housing-to-wastegate plumbing or the wastegate-to-DP?

IBbF5YL.jpg

Wanted to watch the speedo in that vid!

Yeah me too. I’m pretty over this GPS speedo. Now that I moved back to the woods, it basically never works.

Edit: for reference that pull was from about 35-75 mph. It feels quick to me, but then I think about your car, Tate's car, etc. They must pull so much harder.

Last edited:
Turbine housing to wastegate plumbing will be quite restrictive and likely the cause of your creep.

I was afraid you?d say that. It?s weird how many manifolds I see with a wastegate inlet completely perpendicular to the flow at the collector. Seems like my setup should be at least as good as that.

So I’ve been driving the car a lot and loving it now that I can take a pull up to 6k. 1st-4th gearing is perfect, so once I get the .80 5th, it’ll be dialed. That said, with a 4.30 axle, I do shift often. That, combined with the Yoshifab pressure plate cause this today:

SEV11ux.jpg

I’m going to order a new cable from ipd to keep me on the road, but I’m thinking about hydraulic options. I know 240 guys do it, but I think there’s a lot more room on the firewall for the master. Any tips for hydraulic 140 clutch setups?

Last edited:
You are going to swap in a .8 OD gear with a 4.3 rear end? Why?

.8 OD with a 3.91 is tits. 4.3 would probably be on the short side.

Whatever you do to get the hydro in the 140 it'll be worth it! I hated my cable clutch, and cursed volvo for being so cheap to use one.

You are going to swap in a .8 OD gear with a 4.3 rear end? Why?

For spirited back-roading, which is basically all I do with this car. With the .63 OD, I can't get out of 4th. The .80 will be way slower on the freeway, but the only time I road trip in this thing is to get to other backroads.

Also, I realize my Dana 30 will probably blow up sometime, and at that point I'll be looking for a a slightly taller gear.

:nod: I was on my way into work this morning and needed to make a pass. Was going ~55mph in 5th, probably 2400rpm. No double clutch downshift and drama needed, squeezed the throttle built a little boost and cruised right around and on my way.

That's how the gearing was in my old SPG. I used to think it was so fast on the freeway, and could pass like nobody's business. Later I realized how short the gearing is on those things.

That's how the gearing was in my old SPG. I used to think it was so fast on the freeway, and could pass like nobody's business. Later I realized how short the gearing is on those things.

yep, that and the patented SAAB midrange torque smack make great passing cars! I had an even shorter ratio box from an earlier car in my '88 SPG and it was a burner. Then I got in a 9k aero with the longest gears ever and was doing 100mph on the highway all the time :lol:

yep, that and the patented SAAB midrange torque smack make great passing cars! I had an even shorter ratio box from an earlier car in my '88 SPG and it was a burner. Then I got in a 9k aero with the longest gears ever and was doing 100mph on the highway all the time :lol:

Yeah I'm pretty sure my '85 had the shorter primaries. It was a hoot.

Back