• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 Wagon: 6x9s in rear doors?

CakeOD

I'm in the process of upgrading my '88 245 wagon's audio and so far I've installed a new JVC head unit, Kicker 4" speakers in the stock front door locations, that was all super easy. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the rear speakers.

I tried to install the same model 4" in the rear stock location (next to the backseat), but the new speakers were too deep and the rear basket/magnet too large to fit without contacting the various metal bits inside the body. Also, the plastic trim panel that the stock speakers mount to is becoming cracked so its not a great place to try and mount anything anyway.

So, rather than mess with grinding down metal bits and trying to repair 30 year old plastic, my idea is to abandon the stock speaker location and also make the upgrade to 6x9s. I've seen a few examples where people have mounted 6x9s in the lower part of the rear doors, so that's what I'd like to do. I'm wondering if anyone on here has done this and if they have any advice?

If I recall, there isn't really a good place to mount a speaker on the actual door panel metal due to the large hole that allows access to the window mechanism, etc. Do people usually just mount the speaker to the cardboard door skin? I know the that's how the front factory speakers are attached, but it seems like its not the best way to do things in terms of vibrations, etc. Is there a better method or is that the only way?

I put 5 x 7s in my rear doors and they are almost a perfect fit, right below the lower chrome trim line on the door panel. Plus, you can mount them far enough forward so that they clear the rear lower seat bottom, the interior window regulator and the window crank.

I put 5 x 7s in my rear doors and they are almost a perfect fit, right below the lower chrome trim line on the door panel. Plus, you can mount them far enough forward so that they clear the rear lower seat bottom, the interior window regulator and the window crank.

Any special trick to mounting the speakers on the door panels? Did you just trace a template and cut the door skin and mount the speakers to it?

Back