• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 745 v8

SBCsavior

I am currently in the middle of putting an 04 LQ4 6.0L ls in my wagon! It?s going to be naturally aspirated until I collect the parts to put a turbo on it. I know the stock Volvo pump will support a naturally aspirated engine. My question is do I need to plumb in a regulator? Or can I just hooking up the stock fuel lines and go?

If you are running a carb the max pressure should be no more than 7-8 lbs. The FI pump runs way more than that,so you need a regulator, switch in a low pressure electric fuel pump. If you are running the FI of the LQ4 check the fuel pressure of that motor.

If you are running a carb the max pressure should be no more than 7-8 lbs. The FI pump runs way more than that,so you need a regulator, switch in a low pressure electric fuel pump. If you are running the FI of the LQ4 check the fuel pressure of that motor.

The lq4 requires 25-30gph @58psi. The Volvo pump puts out roughly 35gph. I can’t find a number on the psi it achieves though. I will be running the stock FI

Last edited:
The stock fuel rails on an LQ4 have a regulator built in

That's false. Some LQ4 have a returnless system. Those rails won't have any reg on them. I believe those started in 2004.

OP, post a pic of the drivers side fuel rail. If it has a reg that's where it will be. If it doesn't have one you will have to use a corvette filter/ regulator.

That's false. Some LQ4 have a returnless system. Those rails won't have any reg on them. I believe those started in 2004.

OP, post a pic of the drivers side fuel rail. If it has a reg that's where it will be. If it doesn't have one you will have to use a corvette filter/ regulator.

2003+ LQ4s are returnless. Mine is from a 2004. No regulator on the fuel rail. They were in the tank of the trucks. Does anyone know how much fuel pressure the stock Volvo pumps create?

Not sure on the pressure. A lot of returnless fuel systems use fuel pump modulation to vary the amount of fuel coming from the pump. Your stock pump will not like this if thats how the stock lq4 system works.

Back