• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A few questions in 1 thread regarding TD04-12b, 15g turbo and more

89_740Turbo

Hey,

Got some more questions for the more knowledgeable folks around here. Just a few questions here I'll list in order.

1. What is the maximum HP the m47 manual transmission can safely hold without needing to upgrade to T5?

2. What is the max boost PSI for the TD04-12b turbo?

3. Is the t3/t4 turbo too powerful for the m47 trans?

4. I'm going to be purchasing a 15g turbo from another forum member here. It was brought to my attention that the "hot/cold side" should be paid attention to. What is the hot/cold side thing? Tried researching but no info really. I dont know much about the 15g.

5. After reclocking the turbo, should I be good to throw the 15g onto the new manifold on the b230ft?

6. What is the max boost PSI on a 15g?

7. Is there ANYWHERE in NY, PA or NJ that specializes in volvo performance?

8. Can I mod this to fir the 8v? https://www.ebay.com/itm/B20-B23-B2...el:740&hash=item2efa8bac66:g:GQoAAOSwywRaPko3

1. Many m47's die at stock n/a power, others hold 200-240whp before third gear smooths itself off.
2. I wouldn't want to run much more than 13-14psi on it with the stock intercooler.
3. This all depends on how much boost you want to run and what other supporting mods. There are tons of Volvos out there with t3/t4 turbos only making 200whp.
4. The cold side is all the same, the hot side (turbine housing) there are 3 options, conical (stock DP bolts to it), flat flange and angled outlet, the later two will require new downpipe flange.
5. Reclock it, remove the two studs and drill the holes out, after that it will bolt up to a 90+ and look and work the same as the stock 13c turbo did (on the 90+). Your TD05 pile of junk has the older manifold.
6. While people have run them up to 18-20psi personally I would limit it to 15-16psi but make sure you have at least an upgraded IC.
7. on your own there but no reason you cannot learn to do everything yourself, if we did it you can.
8. No, I am sure they make one for the 8v and while it can be mod'd to fit the effort vs results might not be there. You need to determine your goals and maybe follow what others have done for the simple path to get there.

1. Many m47's die at stock n/a power, others hold 200-240whp before third gear smooths itself off.
2. I wouldn't want to run much more than 13-14psi on it with the stock intercooler.
3. This all depends on how much boost you want to run and what other supporting mods. There are tons of Volvos out there with t3/t4 turbos only making 200whp.
4. The cold side is all the same, the hot side (turbine housing) there are 3 options, conical (stock DP bolts to it), flat flange and angled outlet, the later two will require new downpipe flange.
5. Reclock it, remove the two studs and drill the holes out, after that it will bolt up to a 90+ and look and work the same as the stock 13c turbo did (on the 90+). Your TD05 pile of junk has the older manifold.
6. While people have run them up to 18-20psi personally I would limit it to 15-16psi but make sure you have at least an upgraded IC.
7. on your own there but no reason you cannot learn to do everything yourself, if we did it you can.
8. No, I am sure they make one for the 8v and while it can be mod'd to fit the effort vs results might not be there. You need to determine your goals and maybe follow what others have done for the simple path to get there.

Thanks for the answers. When I get back, I'll we write up responses to your answers. I have more to ask.

1. Nothing to ask

2. If I upgrade to a better intercooler, like NPR, should I still keep the same PSI?

3. Nothing

4. It's the conical 15G

5. Was this your turbo at one point lol

6. Okay

7. Some things I do, some things I dont. Still learning.

8. Goal is to get the car to at least 200hp or 220hp. I want to get an upgraded turbo w/ boost controller, upgraded ic, free flow exhaust, chip and maybe camshaft

2. Yes, you will just make more power and keep things from being super heated. NPR is a great IC, so is the d088.se drop in units. Myself I swapped from my 1991 style IC to a 1992+ style along with the larger rad as my first IC upgrade.

4. Conical is great as it should work just fine with the stock DP

5. I have run on my 740 a lot of turbos, stock 13c, 15g, 16t, Super60 wheel in a 15g housing, HY35CW, and then two custom manifolds with the Hy35CW. the TD05-12b I know is junk as does everyone else because we have dealt with them over the years.

7. Keep learning, reading and doing and just be ready to make mistakes but that is how we learn.

8. for 200bhp (not 200whp) I would just go with the supporting mods on your current setup, bump the boost to 12 psi, get a better intercooler, get a IPD turbo cam, get a full 3" exhaust. And see where the car sits from there as those are some of the easy upgrades. Those mods should easly net you 200-220bhp at the engine (not at the wheels). Problem for me with turbo cars is that I always seem to want more. I thought my 945 I would be happy with just minior bolt ons and in the big picture it looks like I am going for 300whp again.

2. Yes, you will just make more power and keep things from being super heated. NPR is a great IC, so is the d088.se drop in units. Myself I swapped from my 1991 style IC to a 1992+ style along with the larger rad as my first IC upgrade.

4. Conical is great as it should work just fine with the stock DP

5. I have run on my 740 a lot of turbos, stock 13c, 15g, 16t, Super60 wheel in a 15g housing, HY35CW, and then two custom manifolds with the Hy35CW. the TD05-12b I know is junk as does everyone else because we have dealt with them over the years.

7. Keep learning, reading and doing and just be ready to make mistakes but that is how we learn.

8. for 200bhp (not 200whp) I would just go with the supporting mods on your current setup, bump the boost to 12 psi, get a better intercooler, get a IPD turbo cam, get a full 3" exhaust. And see where the car sits from there as those are some of the easy upgrades. Those mods should easly net you 200-220bhp at the engine (not at the wheels). Problem for me with turbo cars is that I always seem to want more. I thought my 945 I would be happy with just minior bolt ons and in the big picture it looks like I am going for 300whp again.

Thanks. I'm taking it in staged. Trying to get to 200 first. From there over time ill try to go up to 300, but, you know, budget and money lol

What is the stock 740T IC size so I know what size NPR IC i should get.

There are three sizes of NPR that can be made to fit. The largest is the closest to fitting perfectly. Search the site, you'll find plenty of threads on install details. For a bit more dollars, the do88 unit suggested above is a perfect bolt in solution and likely better than the NPR intercooler.

There are three sizes of NPR that can be made to fit. The largest is the closest to fitting perfectly. Search the site, you'll find plenty of threads on install details. For a bit more dollars, the do88 unit suggested above is a perfect bolt in solution and likely better than the NPR intercooler.

woo wee. d088 is around 500 dollars lol

Bump back to the top. Another question: Is there a way I can install a full turboback to the stock turbo in a way so I don't have to cut the DP and when it comes time to upgrade the turbo, I can just unbolt it, swap in the new one, and reattach the DP? If that make sense.

If you wait long enough you might be able to catch the do88 on sale. Memorial day is around the corner, maybe eeuroparts will have another discount. I forgot what I paid for mine, but it was substantially cheaper than 500.

If you want a 3" turbo back, there's no way around cutting the dp. The stock outlet from the turbo isn't even that large... So you'd be looking at a 2.5 to 3 conversion off the turbo, which would require cutting and welding after the flange. If that makes sense.

If you want a bolt on turboswap, without modding the downpipe, then no problems using the conical housing you have.

Your other option, and most recommended, would be a 3" downpipe with a straight outlet turbine housing.

IMO if you want something adaptable you need to make a 2 piece downpipe and use a vband clamp or whatever to secure it.

That's why everyone makes "cat backs" though... because theres a known flange junction that they can bolt to.

woo wee. d088 is around 500 dollars lol

FWIW...KL-Racing intercooler, 204 euro (+shipping)
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-940-utan-ac-60mm.html
03561.jpg

As far as shops in our area for performance Volvo work. None that I know of. There are a few members here in the state. But pretty much we all had to do this stuff ourselves for better or for worse. That's the way it is when you roll with the bricks.

I do have a very good shop for machine work and head porting. Plus there was the guy that Kenny (linuxman) told me about on the board a few years ago. He did performance head work. I think he is in central or northern nj. Send him a pm about the guy in nj. He won bracket racing at Englishtown or something like that with a over 500hp grandpa series.

Last edited:
Back