• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 M46 Shifter Seized?

Right, and with the angle it’s not very easy to move anyway.
I got the years of grease on everything alll cleaned up, so I’ll put it back together tomorrow and see if there is any difference. I’ll put a little grease on the shifter ball joint and put it back together.

Put the shifter back in and now we're back to square one... no movement in any direction. Well, minimal movement and tons of resistance, so it just goes back to center.
I tried moving the cage up and down and no difference was made.

This is really throwing me off now. I can't see anything that could be getting in the way of the shifter.

Another suggestion is to make sure the slave cylinder is working and moving properly. You will have to watch it while someone pushes in the clutch. If that isn't the problem I guess it is trans removal to see what is going on under the cover.

Another suggestion is to make sure the slave cylinder is working and moving properly. You will have to watch it while someone pushes in the clutch. If that isn't the problem I guess it is trans removal to see what is going on under the cover.

That's definitely something I will check, being that there is a nasty noise when I let off the clutch while the car is running.

Hmm, that could be some type of issue with the throwout bearing arm. The arm can come off the pivot bolt which would stop any gear engagement with the clutch. You'll be able to see how the arm functions when you watch the slave cylinder. You don't need the car running for this. Just check out the function of the slave cylinder and fork with the car on jackstands.

So we got the transmission yanked out of the car today, and as soon as I took the top cover off, things didn't look to good. The fluid looked like a reddish tinted chocolate milk. Then I tried to move the linkage into gear, and nothing was moving inside the transmission. I can move it side to side, but like I said, nothing is moving.

Then after dropping a spring into the transmission, I ended up fishing this out with a magnet... safe to say it's shot!
vPhVaf1JsXtlQu4Ad-sduZdba9FoTM8DarFJbpW0rmAaGiSJe0T9QErZ6Ze3IkZFDbYcIeQ2ahCXU-lmz8X2wRmiVpCCGd9qgT0SkEsF_WOjCB196LpSPBpCUydn7-oQsQr023sHPvMOtzyRQlu43tX_wbg2bIq_xbUu7UIWIGVvReF2REaOfGSh1swVosR1LmoGnOnL7-xcAlrrym-DsTo-JjHUxxG6STnj6ZPpCWmq-2zkPoiw9I89MEqbYEZSAH78sCPyTvP6I0eT84a_mk0nCdTssqC1FL4kmafiqLgKieXOPlLB54vyjE0Btfs0HYi9U-OhblJdJ8XHvYUntMZvL4xIEGd71wCitU6E6trvmDivJAESpSkLJy2xvPqMu8NV9a7Wmq2qeVHi4xfJ5UzmWSl2s5c_QeH6q7Kh6dVdeb8ShUhfOPBc3IVrxKX1rnw0cGIRNIpeQVqsAnK9ZIhQcdO0ef_9LMEDDSmfEnBgR2HN5_fPqw9AFeRHQw4bgG-xTHNM1ZOsr-H_JWFKl7W6mdKGQJnapjE_XaObqMkRCMt5ZM9Bij2pT6GZpQEnyZVvLWydIacjCm99gojjrrevqp2HJznANudI6yP-xP4awFnikjLLWTdtkY843RrnNxHoQmxwQxXi1fMI50Q9LckOZytGiKn7ng=w842-h631-no

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vHSn1wGzNxmuM4eH6

Now the question is where I get another M46, or if it makes sense to swap to an M47 (is it weaker than the M46, or any other drawbacks?). Also if there's anything else that needs to be swapped along with the transmission if I go the M47 route.

M47 is weaker but it doesn't matter if you don't have a turbo. You'll need the driveshaft (At least the front half, iirc.) but you can use the old clutch/flywheel/etc.

Cool, that’s what I thought. Other than the driveshaft it seems to be a direct swap.
I do have a turbo though, and I plan on upgrading the turbo, among other things. I think sticking with the M46 would be a better idea.

Back