home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default m46 countershaft bearing replacement

I bumped my older thread but got no response so I figured I would start a new one.

I bought the new countershaft bearing for my m46. From reading the haynes manual it looks like I need to take everything out to get to the layshaft and then replace the bearing. The old bearing is there but is missing the race. It rolls fine but seems to be aged. Could I put the new race I have on there or would it be asking for trouble? Is there a way to replace the bearing without tearing into the entire thing? I think I would rather find another one that works if I have to tear the whole thing down since it seems like it would take a lot of time. Picture is of the current countershaft bearing.
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Do you still have the spacer / washer for the main bearing?
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

There's no way to get the tool behind the bearing without removing the countershaft. Just slap in the new race, install the correct shim and be done with it.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Do you still have the spacer / washer for the main bearing?
Yes I do still have the shim for it
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
There's no way to get the tool behind the bearing without removing the countershaft. Just slap in the new race, install the correct shim and be done with it.
Yeah thats what I was thinking that I couldn't get a bearing puller behind there. Alright sounds like I'll just put the new race in and see if it goes. If not then I'll find a nicer used one. Thanks.
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
planetman
Board Member
 
planetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

If you have trouble finding a good used 1, the parts to rebuild your M46 are still available.

And my brother, hiperfauto, has rebuilt a few, 2 in the last year and we have all the tools and parts needed to rebuild them.
__________________
Eric
Hi Performance Automotive Service (formerly OVO or Old Volvos Only)
Torrance, CA 90502
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
chronicrhythm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colebrook, CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
If you have trouble finding a good used 1, the parts to rebuild your M46 are still available.

And my brother, hiperfauto, has rebuilt a few, 2 in the last year and we have all the tools and parts needed to rebuild them.
Awesome! I'll keep that in mind
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
59volvo
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
If you have trouble finding a good used 1, the parts to rebuild your M46 are still available.

And my brother, hiperfauto, has rebuilt a few, 2 in the last year and we have all the tools and parts needed to rebuild them.

Eric- what happened to your website - shows a dead link

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/
59volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

The website is down due to us paying for what we get, or rather not paying. A friend was hosting the site for free since the server had to be up and running for his business anyway and there was plenty of room available. All good things must come to an end and so it is with the free hosting. We're now with Go Daddy and my friend is having difficulty migrating the software and allowing public access to the database. He's busy with his new endeavours but he's assured me he'll be working on a solution to the problem soon.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
jjona5
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
The website is down due to us paying for what we get, or rather not paying. A friend was hosting the site for free since the server had to be up and running for his business anyway and there was plenty of room available. All good things must come to an end and so it is with the free hosting. We're now with Go Daddy and my friend is having difficulty migrating the software and allowing public access to the database. He's busy with his new endeavours but he's assured me he'll be working on a solution to the problem soon.
What does an m46 rebuild cost?
jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

The last one we did was ~$1160. That included new lay and main shaft bearings, synchros, shift dogs and springs for the trans and a reseal for the overdrive. The bearings in the overdrive rarely need to be replaced. Any hard parts needed are additional.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

I have a known good center section for $85 plus the ride.
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.