• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

m90 conversion questions

boedr

Hi guys,

i have a volvo 164e '74.
My gearbox is suffering wear and i want to replace it with a stronger one.

Has anyone put a m90 gearbox on a volvo old school redblock before b18, b20, b30.
There are 2 things i think can be a problem:

1. the hydraulic clutch in a 164/140, there is less space next to the brake booster
2. a b230 has a angle and a b30 stands up rigt is there enough space in the transmission tunnel to mount such a gearbox

thnx

M90 is meant for whiteblock applications. Input shaft, splines, clutch & flywheel setup will all different; things you will need to consider.

What? They made M90's for redblocks and diesels and whiteblocks... No removable bellhousing so they are all different bellhousing mounts from each other.

Here is a redblock one. If your in england and could get a m90 cheap then It might be doable. I think if you mount the engine straight up it would still work with the m90. You have to make a custom shift linkage anyway. Custom tranny mount. Custom driveshaft. Then your done. This is assuming a B30 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a redblock.. I'd buy this m90 in a sec if I could go pick it up.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec4dc3fae

Last edited:
Hi guys,

i have a volvo 164e '74.
My gearbox is suffering wear and i want to replace it with a stronger one.

Has anyone put a m90 gearbox on a volvo old school redblock before b18, b20, b30.
There are 2 things i think can be a problem:

1. the hydraulic clutch in a 164/140, there is less space next to the brake booster
2. a b230 has a angle and a b30 stands up rigt is there enough space in the transmission tunnel to mount such a gearbox

thnx

Your only choice is the 164 M410. The bellhousing is unique to the M410 version for a B30, and the cable/actuator are correct (the M410 came with cable or hydraulic so your choice depending on which one you get)

A 164 version M410 is going to be about the strongest box avail for your car. Bigger 9" clutch, 1 1/4 input shaft, huge input and case bearings, larger cast iron box, strong as heck.

Q: did you trash an M410 that was already in your car?
A: yes, I'd say rebuild it.

My car doesnt have a m410 and a m410 cant be rebuild because they dont make the synchro rings anymore.
My car now actually has a m46 from a 240 but the bearings are trashed, so i'm considering a m47 swap or the stronger m90.
the m46 has a m410/400 bellhouse welded to the m46 bellhouse so it fits.

There are m90 boxes swapped to the 240 but that engine has a angle of i believee 15 degrees and a 164 zero, so the box wil be in a angle under the transmission tunnel.

Maybe i just must try a m47 and if that doenst work take a proven t5(6) but they are very expensive here if you can find one.

My car doesnt have a m410 and a m410 cant be rebuild because they dont make the synchro rings anymore.
My car now actually has a m46 from a 240 but the bearings are trashed, so i'm considering a m47 swap or the stronger m90.
the m46 has a m410/400 bellhouse welded to the m46 bellhouse so it fits.

There are m90 boxes swapped to the 240 but that engine has a angle of i believee 15 degrees and a 164 zero, so the box wil be in a angle under the transmission tunnel.

Maybe i just must try a m47 and if that doenst work take a proven t5(6) but they are very expensive here if you can find one.

Honestly for all the fab and conversion work and costs you will have to do, you will be much better off getting a used M410 which are few in number and expensive, far stronger than M47 or M46, and still cheaper than modifying an M47 bellhousing and/or T5, and still stronger than a T5.
Just note that an M410 from an 1800 is not as strong as one from a 164, but they are more common.

Back