• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mike K? ruin another volvo. 945 pickup build

you and tate even play humble the same.

I want to be just like Tate when I Benjamin Button back into my 20's.

Wow that opening hatch is a nice touch. The 940 seats are very comfortable but the only downside is they don't have that quick release like the newer seat have to fold the back rest all the way forward. Would make it perfect to haul longer items.

Agreed. I will eventually put some sort of 2-door car seats in which flip forward.

lets party

I'll haul the keg. Crew's on deck

bRV451F.jpg

We did not make (many) sparks this weekend, just a whole bunch of dust. One of many, many days to come sanding this car.

rwxaLSS.jpg

LlypAkD.jpg

switched to thin coats of Rage Gold to be blocked later on this week

64wKKO7.jpg

GaoHrp8.jpg

Last edited:
Dogs look bored - maybe need more sparks?

Can't wait to see the car/truck/ute in a coat a coat of primer so you can really see the lines.

I predict that your arms will be very tired of block sanding in the near future....

We've been steadily putting time into the car as life allows, just not taking a ton of pictures. Doing a lot of blocking, and it's starting to come into shape. Took me a bit but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The Rage Gold sands really nicely.

5ksbNHR.jpg

This side of the car is pretty much there, little left to do at the bottom of the once-was rear door.

zKZmFQA.jpg

Cutting the fillet at the base of all the bed rail pieces is proving to be pretty difficult, but getting it close after a few shots.

Ff4W0qS.jpg

I've had a lot of 940's come through the garage, and they've all got dinged up hoods. What gives?

5ossey9.jpg

KPbGrF4.jpg

Lotsa work but the results are not disappointing! This is our roof joint.

g7l6guO.jpg

Loving the progress. You guys are doing great. Is it easy to reach the hatch latch while standing next to the bed? Also, does it lock the same as it did before?

Also, if that 2J goes in, I'll be even more jealous of you.

Something sort of Zen happened reading about blocking/sanding while listening to the Spice Girls sing 2 become 1....

There's something sort of Zen about a few hours sanding after stressful days at work. Although we are usually listening to the Dead or Neil Young.

Loving the progress. You guys are doing great. Is it easy to reach the hatch latch while standing next to the bed? Also, does it lock the same as it did before?

yeah it's easy to reach over and swing the hatch up, though we're talking about shaving the plate recess/handle area and putting some kinda low profile handles on the sides. Haven't built latches yet, hatch or tailgate. The hatch might only open from the inside. Just had a vision of an electric popper you could tap somewhere outside the car..

Also, if that 2J goes in, I'll be even more jealous of you.

oh she'll go :oogle:

yeah it's easy to reach over and swing the hatch up, though we're talking about shaving the plate recess/handle area and putting some kinda low profile handles on the sides. Haven't built latches yet, hatch or tailgate. The hatch might only open from the inside. Just had a vision of an electric popper you could tap somewhere outside the car..

Glad to hear it. The electric popper would be cool. Put some kind of button in the gas hatch or behind the license plate.

oh she'll go :oogle:

Since everything I do is a copy of you, you know you're making me build a ute with a 2JZ don't you? I don't have money for that, go easy on me.

There's something sort of Zen about a few hours sanding after stressful days at work. Although we are usually listening to the Dead or Neil Young.

There's something sort of Zen about working with your son, relearning an old skill on my side, and watching your son learn something on his side.

It's been a good project because its "as time allows", and we try not to be in a hurry. I think to date, and its been a long run, we only had one bad night on the car, that left side f'n bed rail....

Just curious, do you have a plan to let rain drain out of the bed or are you just going to always park it pointed up hill?

Loving the project, and thanks for sharing it.

Just curious, do you have a plan to let rain drain out of the bed or are you just going to always park it pointed up hill?

Yeah we've talked it over a few times, just no concrete plans yet. We should be able to make some sort of drain holes in the front corners where it will dam up against the hatch close area. I kept all the dubber duck-bill drain hole covers from the parts car so we could play around.

thanks for sharing! That's actually pretty neatly done. Shorter cab and longer bed give it more of a VW look which I don't prefer as much, but it's obviously thought out. Big difference there is no sunroof, so he moved his hatch up much further which allowed him to use the regular hatch and hatch opening, pretty nice. But the tail light treatment and tailgate is not so elegant.

Wow Wow Wow, this build is epic!!
Good job Mike & Mike Sr. And happy new year :)

thanks, and happy new year to you too!

I'm a little disappointed because I was planning on celebrating the new year with some pictures of the car... we both had all of last week off work and so had planned to get the car in a coat of primer. As luck would have it, right after the holidays we started a deep freeze here in the Northeast and temps have not gotten above 5 or 6 degrees F for the past week. The garage is heated, but since we are using a two-part epoxy primer the suggestion is to get the metal up to 65-70 degrees. Even blasting as much heat into the garage as possible we could not get the surface of the car above 55 degrees, and it after all of the hard work it was not worth the risk to introduce adhesion issues.

So, this was a let down - we both really wanted to see the car all one color. Car is all clean and dry off to the side waiting for a little break in the ambient temps. Will see if conditions cooperate, otherwise might just go back to constructing a bit - still have sunroof to finish, tailgate to finish, hatch to finish... yes, no shortage of things to do. When am I ever going to work on my 242 again??

I'm waiting for the donut hoonage videos, with Husky loaded in the bed.

10/10 have daydreamed this exactly. Actually ultimate project goal is to wheelie the Husky into the bed then jump in the cab and ride a big burnout off into the sunset :lol:

That's the thing with this car though, every daydream involves big smiles and goofing around. Can't wait to drive it.

Back