• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear Brake Upgrade for 7/9 series?

Pete.M

Slow Member
I'm sure I've seen suggestions on this but can't seem to find anything via Google.

What options have been explored for rear brake upgrades? Are there any issues with using V70 rear brakes for example, other than needing an adaptor?

I know the handbrake/parking brake configuration would be different - what can be done for this? Hydro is an option but I'm sure I've heard of some other modification - maybe an electric unit.

I do know the front does all the work, but I'd like to keep the balance close to factory (thinking about using some old Brembo's with 316mm rotors on the front, or something along those lines).

There are three different rear calipers for 7/9s. They have different sized pistons (34,36,28mm iirc) and you can adjust rear bias by changing them out. The diameter of the piston is stamped on the caliper housing.

I have the cad files for wilwood hats and caliper adapters if you wanted to go that route, otherwise myself I have not done any other research on rear upgrades.

I suppose it might be worth trying that simple option first (larger standard caliper and something like EBC yellow pads). It would be good to keep things simple and light where possible. I'd actually be tempted to come down to 302mm on the front so that I can use 16" wheels for lower inertia, but I don't know how they'd stand up to serious track use. And 16" Volvo wheels are too skinny, so the money involved in having adaptors made and then buying some wheels sort of rules that option out, at least until I become rich.

I suppose it might be worth trying that simple option first (larger standard caliper and something like EBC yellow pads). It would be good to keep things simple and light where possible. I'd actually be tempted to come down to 302mm on the front so that I can use 16" wheels for lower inertia, but I don't know how they'd stand up to serious track use. And 16" Volvo wheels are too skinny, so the money involved in having adaptors made and then buying some wheels sort of rules that option out, at least until I become rich.

Volvo wheels shouldn't require riches, since Focus are also 5x108 although you need spacers.

Anyways, front rotors won't work, the rotor offset is wrong and there's no drum for the handbrake, I would just invest in a set of good OE rotors all around, play with pads and good brake line along with good fluid, that'll cover most amateur track activities.

Yeah, my LeMons car has a few brake upgrades but nothing major and its fine, even on tracks that eat brakes.

My mods:
Stainless hoses all around
Raybestos custom front pads
PBR XBG (Metal Masters) rear pads
Front cooling ducts

I have the nicer early calipers in the front, I think they're Girling. I use high quality normal rotors, OE or ATE, nothing drilled or slotted.

Thats it, we have never had any fade or reliability problems even after ten races. We used to run the XBGs in the front too but they would wear out around the end of the race.

I did have some problems when I messed around with the bias. Also we cooked a set of PBR ceramic pads in about 15 minutes once, they were not meant for track use.

+1 on this.

I also have a stock setup on my '90 740 Wagon Lemons car. I run Raybestos ST43 racing pads, IPD SS brake lines and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. No cooling ducts. It has the Girling front calipers. The brakes are the best thing about that car. I've never had brake fade, ever. Even after 110*+ weekend at Buttonwillow in Bakersfield, CA. It's fun to go flying by a Miata or E36 in the braking zone.

The Raybestos pads are expensive. You have to have them custom cut but unless you are racing the car, you will never have to buy pads again. I got 8 races out of the last set. And, they are easy on rotors. We got 8 races out of the rotors too.

Yeah, my LeMons car has a few brake upgrades but nothing major and its fine, even on tracks that eat brakes.

My mods:
Stainless hoses all around
Raybestos custom front pads
PBR XBG (Metal Masters) rear pads
Front cooling ducts

I have the nicer early calipers in the front, I think they're Girling. I use high quality normal rotors, OE or ATE, nothing drilled or slotted.

Thats it, we have never had any fade or reliability problems even after ten races. We used to run the XBGs in the front too but they would wear out around the end of the race.

I did have some problems when I messed around with the bias. Also we cooked a set of PBR ceramic pads in about 15 minutes once, they were not meant for track use.

Bump for old gold. TY to those racers for sharing this information.

Back