• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lost my main key

iHateVolvoPeople

I lost the main key to my wagon and now all I have is what I believe they call a valet key. Doesn't unlock glove box or hatch. My question is, will I have to get all new locks and an ignition switch to get a new key? Or could I get new keys made that ARENT valet keys?

:
$60+ for a key!? Ef that. But yes I did. Just now.

The Benz dealers typically charge $105.00 for the service, so in that perspective we Volvo owners are getting, uh, a bargain?:wtf: :lol:
The $60 is still less than it would cost for a locksmith to make a new master key for your auto, and it would be based on a worn lock, not original.

IIRC the Valet and Master are the same other than the "master" key is thinner.

You should be able to dupe the valet key onto a master key blank or generic ILCO x140? I think it is and it will work for the glove and cargo area on a later model car.

Valet steel volvo keys last longer and are thicker. Who cares about locking the glove or any of that anyway? Trunk can lock with the power locks, glove I never lock, if they want in there they'll just break it rather than *maybe* just push the button and open it, and if locked they will for sure break it since they know its locked for a reason.

IIRC the Valet and Master are the same other than the "master" key is thinner.

You should be able to dupe the valet key onto a master key blank or generic ILCO x140? I think it is and it will work for the glove and cargo area on a later model car.

Valet steel volvo keys last longer and are thicker. Who cares about locking the glove or any of that anyway? Trunk can lock with the power locks, glove I never lock, if they want in there they'll just break it rather than *maybe* just push the button and open it, and if locked they will for sure break it since they know its locked for a reason.
Honestly the thing that annoys me most is how I can't unlock my passenger door with the key. And I like to be able to lock the hatch lol. But so if I ask them to make me a copy but use a thinner (normal sized) key it might work as a master?

On late model 240's the only difference between a master key and a valet key is one of the lengthwise slots on the side. Not the tumblers. Some of the locks have an extra ridge that requires the extra slot.

So if you get a master blank, you could have it duplicated from your valet key.

I lost the main key to my wagon and now all I have is what I believe they call a valet key. Doesn't unlock glove box or hatch. My question is, will I have to get all new locks and an ignition switch to get a new key? Or could I get new keys made that ARENT valet keys?

The dealer will need your registration and your drivers license to have Volvo NA cut you a new key.

And $60 is easy. New BMW keys are $222.68 when the battery - not if - dies.

My '84 240T has to unlock the trunk with a separate, smaller key. Is this the valet key you guys are talking about? Is this normal?

No, the newer cars (not sure what year it changed) use the same key in all locations. There are two versions of the key, the master opens everything, the valet works on the doors and ignition only, in theory you could give that key to a parking valet and they couldn't get into the trunk or glove box.

On late model 240's the only difference between a master key and a valet key is one of the lengthwise slots on the side. Not the tumblers. Some of the locks have an extra ridge that requires the extra slot.

So if you get a master blank, you could have it duplicated from your valet key.

This is exactly what I want to hear. It's a 93 240 so it's definitely late model. Does the blank master have to be a volvo key or any blank master will work?

This is exactly what I want to hear. It's a 93 240 so it's definitely late model. Does the blank master have to be a volvo key or any blank master will work?

If it's not a Volvo blank it might be a valet blank. Part of the reason I know about the keys is from my daughter's 90 240 sedan, she lost the master key, and only had a valet key. She took it somewhere to to have a duplicate made, and the blank they used was a valet key as well. I'm not sure if the place that duped it knew the difference.

After looking at the master and valet keys on my '93 wagon I took a dremel and ground down the ridge on her new dupe and 'converted' it to a master key.

If it's not a Volvo blank it might be a valet blank. Part of the reason I know about the keys is from my daughter's 90 240 sedan, she lost the master key, and only had a valet key. She took it somewhere to to have a duplicate made, and the blank they used was a valet key as well. I'm not sure if the place that duped it knew the difference.

After looking at the master and valet keys on my '93 wagon I took a dremel and ground down the ridge on her new dupe and 'converted' it to a master key.

Him what "ridge" but I'll try to find a place that has a MASTER key and I'll have it cut from my valet.

Looking at them again, there's really only one 'ridge' - just next to the carved area. Both the master and the valet keys have it, really skinny ridge. But the valet key has this ridge at full height, the master keys ridge is shorter.

Back