• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dipstick

D

Dipstick

I have recently given my Volvo a service (940)

The mechanic said my dipstick was too short, and there was not enough oil in my car.

How long should it be?

If your dipstick was too short, and you've been filling it to the line anyway, you'd have too much oil in the car. If you haven't been filling it to the line, what difference does it make?

lol where and why would somone put the wrong dipstick in you car? NO OFFENCE but is the did stick is to short your and idiot for putting it there or the perviouse owner is. and if its teh stock one i wouldnt see that mechanic again lol but to answer you question.. just get a dip stick from the JY from a 940 lol that made m day

Well to be safe I just filled it right up.

It did take a lot of oil, over 3 full cans, and now oil seems to be seeping out.
Is this normal after a fill up of oil?
I was told that 10-40 oil was correct for the car.

It is the first time Ive done any maintenance myself, so any help is apreciated.

10W30 is generally normal

seeping of any sort is always bad. from where, and how much?

too much oil will cause all of your seals to leak...very bad and annoying, indeed.

you do know that the crosshatched part of the dipstick is equal to one quart...ie if it is at the very bottom of the crosshatch, it needs 1 full quart to be full to spec.

what does the dipstick read now?

Its near the top of the dipstick.

I cant see any crosshatch ?
I think Ive put way too much in it.
I was thinking that during the third gallon.

Its leaking from the top of the dipstick & it keeps popping out.
The cars also running bery sluggish, and had difficulty starting it.

filling it up ISNT safe IF you have the wrong dipstick. you coulkd have overfilled it and probbly did. did you drain the old stuff out? if not you definetly did. you need 10w30 or 5w30. have fun with you broken seals and new oilstained driveway... hopfuly u didnt pop any seals. sounds like you did though, since you said oil is dripping now

immediately drain all the oil out and put in 1 gallon. that will be a safe amount, until you can get the right dipstick

is your dipstick handle bright orange/red on the end? if not, fill it up with a gallon anyway, go to a junkyard and get the right one right now.

if you don't do this, you will incur BIG repair bills

there should be about 3.85 liter of oil in the sump, without draining the oil cooler.

lol, i dont thinkyou hydrolocked the engine the other way round, instead of a fluid above the pistons there is too much under the pistons.... but over 3 gallon of oil is a lot...

lol

I think it was red.

I think I found the reason why I had difficulty starting the car.

I left my handbag on the front, above the fan.
The fan has caught the handle, and its jammed between the fan and the metal grill in front of it, with the rest of my handbag!

Oh no this is not going well!
My blusher is now covered with oil!

as long as you get the handbag out, you shouldnt have much trouble getting it started again. ultimately, the fan belt would slip a little bc of the resistance of the handbag. but you MUST drain out the excess oil. there is way too much in there. it is brand new, so if you can save a gallon of it (milk jug) you will be fine just putting it back in if it stays clean.

as long as you get the handbag out, you shouldnt have much trouble getting it started again. ultimately, the fan belt would slip a little bc of the resistance of the handbag. but you MUST drain out the excess oil. there is way too much in there. it is brand new, so if you can save a gallon of it (milk jug) you will be fine just putting it back in if it stays clean.

Pwned.

I am so embarrased.

... so how do you remove handbags from the fan?

Back