• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

i have a few sets of 164 wheels.
even a rare 1yr only 5.5" wide wheel set in a et25 offset. they will poke a little but look soo nice with the deeper dish

The more I think about it, I think I should do everything I can to make these wheels work. I rolled the fenders even more over the weekend and ordered some taller front springs. Leaving the rear where it is with the increased clearance and raising up the front will make the car a lot more fun to drive. Once the parts arrive from VP I?ll be off to the races and hopefully ready for Davis, which has always been a goal for me.

Thanks for all the advice and support in this thread!

I also just raised my front end up about an inch and the rear 3/8". It's SO much more enjoyable to drive. I think our cars were at a similar height before.

Happy to hear that you've decided to hold on to it. Every time I see this car it makes me want a 140 that much more.

Where is the best place to mount a Malpassi Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 140? Inquiring minds want to know...

Before anyone answers that I have another question.

Will this spot work? I know it should be kept away from heat (ie the headers) but this side of the engine bay is so much less crowded. Anyone with some experience doing something similar?

This is from Skandix's site.

2000042.jpg

I don't like how far the fuel lines need to be run to put it there. I'd try to mount it to the lip on the firewall (or bend the bracket 90? and bolt it thru the firewall). That will keep the lines nice and short.

This is from Skandix's site.

I don't like how far the fuel lines need to be run to put it there. I'd try to mount it to the lip on the firewall (or bend the bracket 90? and bolt it thru the firewall). That will keep the lines nice and short.

Thanks for the photo! I measured the distance from the outlet of the fuel pump back to the firewall and then to the carb and it was longer than if I mounted it near the radiator like in that photo.

When I plumbed it in the fuel pressure was at like 6psi. I backed it down to 3 (the lower limit with the spring that came with the Fuel King) later today I will readjust the idle mixture/speed and jets and possibly the main jets too.

I feel like an idiot for not doing this sooner. I bet it solves all the little nagging issues with the car. When I first installed the Weber I read that the fuel pressure should be between 2.5 and 3PSI but thought that didn't apply to me. The car has run fine after a lot of fiddling around but the idle was still a little high no matter what size jet I put in the idle circuit.

That fuel line draped over the exhaust manifold makes me nervous.

I hear what you are saying but that photo is a little misleading. It really wasn?t that close to the manifold. After cars and coffee today I spun the fuel line holder bracket around so it was pointed to the fan not the carb.

Once the engine cools down I am going to move the line under the radiator hose and back into its repositioned holder

Last edited:
Your car is begging for dual Webers. Ditch that single downdraft, it limits power and dual Webers aren't complicated to tune.

Ian, why does the length of the fuel line matter ? Is it a safety issue or does it affect the fuel pressure/flow at all ?

Your car is begging for dual Webers. Ditch that single downdraft, it limits power and dual Webers aren't complicated to tune.

I concur. Dual side drafts look, sound and work much better.

Ian, why does the length of the fuel line matter ? Is it a safety issue or does it affect the fuel pressure/flow at all ?

The shorter the lines, the less chance for chafing and less chance for heat to be absorbed.

We're helping him and Mike Jr. And the US economy. It's all good.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Don't think I havent been watching that for sale thread intently. It's a great deal but still hard to justify spending that much on carbs when the current weber does the job just fine.

Don't think I havent been watching that for sale thread intently. It's a great deal but still hard to justify spending that much on carbs when the current weber does the job just fine.
Given the direction you're taking with this car, the wheels, the stance, the soon to be fixed rockers, I see it as a logical step. I am not saying do it now, I'm just saying: keep it on your list of things to do.

My first Amazon had your set up, it worked fine since the car was just used in town. Then I moved to AZ, got stupid and wanted more and I haven't looked back.

Given the direction you're taking with this car, the wheels, the stance, the soon to be fixed rockers, I see it as a logical step. I am not saying do it now, I'm just saying: keep it on your list of things to do.

My first Amazon had your set up, it worked fine since the car was just used in town. Then I moved to AZ, got stupid and wanted more and I haven't looked back.

I most certainly will keep it on the list. Mike's set in For Sale is very tempting, but I want to stay focussed on the front suspension/steering and body but I'm sure I'll be on the lookout in a few months.

My box from VP Autoparts showed up yesterday!

It includes new upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod kit, lower control arm bolts and idler arm bushing.

While I'm at it I will swap the front springs to 5x9.5 800lbs to raise up the front end.

I went to the garage to open the box and take inventory with no intention of working on the car. Two hours later...

Can't wait to see how the car drives when it is all back together!

Back