• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 TPS Adapter

t8fanning

8v are still cool, right?
I've searched, and found a few solutions to adapt the Volvo 850 TPS to a 240 throttle body, but I was unhappy with all of them. So I made my own.

Designed it and came up with this. I 3D printed it for easy testing:

Q2ibC2ih.jpg

Then I made this:

PfTae04h.jpg

Here it is in action:

zdWgFLsh.jpg

YRsaBTeh.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well, and will work just fine. At first I was worried about the heat and a 3D printed part, but I think if I printed it with ABS it would work. So if anyone wants to try a 3D printed one, let me know.

Looks great. Did you cnc the finished part? Wanna make some more?

I did CNC the aluminum one. I've thought about making some more, but haven't decided yet. What would a reasonable price be?

Nice work.

Is there any particular reason you put the slotted screws on the inside screws vs the ones that hold the TPS? Seems like it will be hard to adjust the TPS since you have to remove the sensor, adjust, replace sensor, take a reading and repeat if it's still not right.

I'm guessing you already thought of this and you designed it the way you did for a reason, but it would be easier if the adjustment screws weren't captive by the sensor itself.

Thanks.

Yes, I put the slots inside mostly because I like the looks better, and I wanted to mount directly to the throttle body rather than the stock TPS bracket. RSI designed one that mounted to the bracket, and it looked like this:

UMMG2dxh.jpg

I don't really like the looks of this design, and it would require significantly more material and machine time. Additionally, I knew I would have to set it once and forget about it, so I wouldn't need frequent access to the adjusting screws. Sure it takes a bit more time to initially set up, but I have to convert intake manifolds for my build anyway, so it's very easy to do outside the car. I just set it so the end of the potentiometer travel is when the throttle plate is parallel to flow.

I agree, your design is much cleaner and more simple. You've definitely thought it through. Good work. :nod:

I'm working on an MS3 box right now and building a plug & play to replace my aging LH2.2. So the 850 TPS is a true potentiometer style sensor? Does it use the same connector as the LH2.x style "throttle switch" sensors? (I'm assuming the wiring would be different if it's a pot style sensor, requiring 3 wires for +5v, sensor ground and signal return)

Does it use the same connector as the LH2.x style "throttle switch" sensors? (I'm assuming the wiring would be different if it's a pot style sensor, requiring 3 wires for +5v, sensor ground and signal return)

It's a 3 pole Bosch junior power timer connector, like on an lh2.4 crank position sensor.

Uses the same connector if I believe, pinouts are different. I've got a home-brew adapter to do what the OP did, not nearly as clean since I have no CNC, but the 850 TPS works nicely with MS.

I ran a 3d printed TPS adapter on my 240 and never had any issues with it.

I would prefer to run aluminum though.

I actually sent a 3D printed one to a guy recently. I did 100% fill, so I think it'll be fine, but I'm waiting on his review. If anyone wants a 3D printed one of mine, I'd be happy to make one.

I'm going to IPD for the garage sale and could be talked into bringing a few.

I actually sent a 3D printed one to a guy recently. I did 100% fill, so I think it'll be fine, but I'm waiting on his review. If anyone wants a 3D printed one of mine, I'd be happy to make one.

I'm going to IPD for the garage sale and could be talked into bringing a few.

hmm i could use one of those :p

Recently used the Yoshifab adapter on an MS2 conversion and was having trouble with TPSdot lag. Turned out that the TPS I used (same as in OP) expected a bigger diameter shaft than what my 2.4 TB had. Cut a 1/4" wide 2" long piece off a soda can, wrapped it around the TB shaft, put the TPS back on and no more lag. I noticed the lag when I had a MAPdot gauge right next to a TPSdot gauge in TunerStudio. AccelEnrich is much more responsive now and I don't have the idle issues I was having with 100% MAPdot based AE.

A few people have asked for the files, so I figured I'd just include them here.

A folder is attached with the solidworks part file and two stl files (I don't remember if they're different, but 3D_print_TPS_Adapter.STL is the newest one). Enjoy, and if you use this, don't "mass" produce and sell them.

Attachments

• TPS_files.zip
    152.3 KB · Views: 108
A few people have asked for the files, so I figured I'd just include them here.

A folder is attached with the solidworks part file and two stl files (I don't remember if they're different, but 3D_print_TPS_Adapter.STL is the newest one). Enjoy, and if you use this, don't "mass" produce and sell them.

Thanx!!!! I'm about to use an 850 TPS so I needed a solution. :-D

Not required with a later throttle such as the B234F, right? It's still a switch type, but the screws are far apart as above, I think. Or am I confused?

Back