• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just bought 1990 740t need ideas!!!

ken5_0

Hello. I am new here but not a rookie to mechanics! I just bought a 1990 740 turbo with the 4 speed and overdrive. I am looking to put 300 or so hp to the wheels and would like to get a plan. First off how much power can the lower end handle stock. (with proper engine management ie no detonation). then what turbo, injectors and engine management system should i use. Also fuel supply? I would like to get a few different ideas and from a creditable source(you guys). What head work should be done? To make a long story short(to late), how do i make 300 reliable rwhp?

Hello. I am new here but not a rookie to mechanics! I just bought a 1990 740 turbo with the 4 speed and overdrive. I am looking to put 300 or so hp to the wheels and would like to get a plan. First off how much power can the lower end handle stock. (with proper engine management ie no detonation). then what turbo, injectors and engine management system should i use. Also fuel supply? I would like to get a few different ideas and from a creditable source(you guys). What head work should be done? To make a long story short(to late), how do i make 300 reliable rwhp?

start reading the FAQ and a bunch of threads already posted on this page.

Help each other out?

I have just acquired the same car and wanted to know if you found anything in the FAQ Ken, that you could post the links? Maybe we can help each other out on this one. I want 300hp, separate boost controller, better air management (e.g., cold air intake, etc...). My father in law has 6 Volvo's and gave me the 1990 740T to restore and modify.

Thanks

Cary :)

That link is old too...there is a list also of 300 hp members on here...you can look at their showroom threads and see how they did it.

the search function works fine if you know how to use it properly. you must enter terms longer than 3 characters. this means you cannot use such things as F+T, 90+, m46, or even (which i'm sure you tried) 300 bhp. it is an invalid string that the search engine cannot recognize. to get around this, try using the biggest common terms you can think of, for instance, 300bhp, 250bhp, 300hp club, b230ft 300hp, etc. give it a shot and report back with what you find.

protip: it's not that hard to make 300hp with one of these, you just have to be choosy about the details. the stock turbo, stock camshaft, stock exhaust, and for the most part, the stock intercooler will not make it there. neither will the stock injectors with the stock pressure regulator. however, it is possible to get damn near 200whp (230-240bhp) out of the stock stuff if you think about the system as a whole and choose mods that make the system as a whole work better. 200whp in a 740 or 940 is pretty fun.

as with any turbo car, start with a good tuneup (stage 0 on that mcbrooms pdf above), and then open up the exhaust and raise the boost to about 12-14psi. that should get you hooked.

eBay .50 trim $180
Ford CFI 46lb injectors
Tap the + wire to the - wire to drain the caps.
Drive the car for 250 miles to let it learn the injectors. (On stock BOOST and not mashing it just rolling into it)
Relocate air mass meter to cold side.
Get T3 feed line and return line from either eBay or from a 80's 740 turbo.
Also port your exhaust manifold out as well as flatten it down for the T3 housing.
25psi is conservative on these engines.
Hit up FCP for there head gasket and head bolts id also get new exhaust manifold gaskets
and as well as intake manifold gasket too should run $65 or so.

All this should run under $400 .And be more then enough for now.
That'd be a hair over 300whp.Your trans won't like it though so id get a new trans if you were in this for the long haul.

That's about it.

Back