• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

newbys dumb question whats the diff. betwen a 740 n a760

Yes,
They are basically diffrent trim levels of the same car... Some differences include:

Non-turbo 760's are a V-6 (not good unless your are Mr. Lane)
760 ti's b230ft automatic
The 760 has a different front end some years.
760's have nivomats (auto leveling rear suspension)
740's have either a b230f, a b234f, or a b230ft (manual or auto)

A lot of parts are interchangeable, the big diff in some being the power plant and rear suspension (and front end)

up to 87 760 and 740 were pretty much the same, IF they came with the 2.3LTIC.

760's came with leather, 760's had the automatic climater control, everything power, while some 740's had manual sunroof, part leather seats, small stuff like that.

in 88, 760 got the Independent rear suspension, and a different nose, the one that the 740's got later in 91 or 90 i belive.
with the new nose came an aluminium hood with hidden wipers, a different sloping winshield, IE the older windshield ones will not fit on the newer ones. in 88 the 760's also got a brand new, much more eye pleasing dash, with 6 speakers (2 on the dash, 4 usual in the doors)

as for nivomats, i dont know when 760's got them or if 740's ever had them.

ABS controller was mounted in the trunk with earlier models, (85), and was later transfered to the engine area, (next to the battery)

anything else?
who knows...i've found out from experience that Volvo changed small things year to year...

for example, we had a 85 765 with ABS and it used 14' tires...
those tires cant fit on 87 760's cuz of different caliper size...also ABS...go figure.

Nivomats were an option on 740's I think and on some 240's. I dunno when they started with them but one hopes they died quick. 760's always prettymuch always have chrome, chrome only looks good on a black clean 760 or 740, if you see a 760 it is pretty cheasy with all that chrome. Try finding a 760 with flat black trim, big difference in the uglyness factor on some 760's. Other then that 765's after 88 are very desirable cars, no IRS and the more aerodynamic front end with teh better dash. The downsides to them for me are the crazy stereo system. Chrome if you like it, I have yet to join the chrome band wagon. No 765 ever got a PRV 6 which is generally a good thing. I think there was a 765 diesel wagon in the first years. I think a 90 765 would be a great car, you would have a very modern car with a strong motor, or even an 89 would be nice. Another downside to 760's in general is that there are very few with a manual trans, and none in 89 or 90 I think.

Yes a 760 is a six cylinder

say it is a 4 door. the car would be a 764

the 7 is the 700 series.
the 6 is the number of cylinders in an engine.
the 4 is the number of doors the cars have.

thats how 200, 700, and 900 series cars are designated.

Also, on this thread, the 760's were almost hand built (assembled). I have read that a team of 6 or so, actually started from the ground up to all the finishing trims, etc. An interesting concept...imagine the size of the team in today's factories! Our '88 760TI was the best frickin car we ever owned. Wish I had it back!

[quote:6bcff26f07]Yes a 760 is a six cylinder[/quote:6bcff26f07]
Maybe you can help me find the missing two cylinders for my B230ft in my 88 760tic. They came with 4s and 6s. Do you think the 780 had an 8 cyl? You are wrong Growley.

[quote:6bcff26f07]Also, on this thread, the 760's were almost hand built (assembled). I have read that a team of 6 or so, actually started from the ground up to all the finishing trims, etc.[/quote:6bcff26f07]
I believe you are talking about 780s not 760s. Volvo tried that concept and quickly went back to the assembly line, it just didn't work well from a manufacturing standpoint. BTW I had a brief tour of the plant in Goteborg in 91. My boss at that time just finished 15 yrs with Volvo in Sweden.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are lots of knowledgeable Volvo people at this site (not me, but lots of others). If you don't know what you are talking about feel free to ask, but please don't post stuff you don't know anything about. Ask questions, READ other posts and learn.

MrRock said:
My 780 has an 8 cyl with 0 doors? Best car ever.

oh ho ho ho, thats rich.

They would have sold better, but owner's didn't like sliding through the sunroof. Wait, does that count as a door??

There was a 240 with a 6cyl, a 260 with a 4cyl, a 740 with a 6 cylinder, a 760 with a 4 cylinder, and the 780 had 4cyl and 6cyl. At best it's a guide, but don't think the naming is 100% accurate.

Back