• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

You can see up close that they did a lot of grinding on it to make it look nice. And then put some sort of coating on it. Probably just flat black BBQ grille paint.

That is awesome! I remember reading about you buying the car when you did, wondered what had happened to it, answers a lot of questions!

Solution for the tb fitment problems is in the final stages of development and should be on the shelf and forsale by the end of the week.

960tb.jpg

960tb1.jpg

It also offers the advantage of increased plenum volume and the ablitly to run the larger 16v/850/960 style tb.

about time ... that is what i have been wanting to do for ages, just never could get anyone to weld the flanges i have sitting here ... damnit ... looks pipe .. price?

Been waiting on some parts, finally got a little more done:

Turbo flange on the manifold - turbo ended up fitting nicely tucked in underneath the log manifold. I have an v-band adapter on the back of the turbo. Also visible in this pic are the very spiffy 16V adjustable cam gears (thanks, chrisf).
IMG_2028.JPG

Crappy welding alert! I won't win any prizes for my bubble gum flux MIG splatter fest, but the last DP on the 16T held up fine and looked no better. The GT30 is sitting lower and farther back than the 16T on stock manifold was - this was made from just a single 3" U-bend cut through the middle of the bend, trimmed, rewelded. Just needs an O2 bung now.
IMG_2029.JPG

ATP Tight turn 3" elbow - plenty of clearance between the 850 throttle body and the master cylinder.
IMG_2030.JPG

Down pipe with O2 bung, heatwrapped, and then painted with BBQ paint (in theory to saturate the wrap and prevent it from soaking up a lot of oil in the event of something bad happening).
IMG_2086.JPG

Also built a wastegate actuator bracket. Getting close to done now, just waiting on some oil lines. Which are in transit from Canada.

Another session on it, now it's getting really close. Just needs a little more work on the coolant lines to the turbo. I made hardlines made out of the Mitsu oil lines - the block side banjo's fit the coolant ports. But the hoses on the turbo radiator hoses don't reach back. And I need to add a fitting somewhere for the wastegate (EBC), the turbo didn't have a fitting on it for some reason. And a crankcase vent hose. And a few more clamps on the air tubing. And fluids. Oh so close to firing up...

IMG_2087.JPG

hold up - wait up - are you running A/C on this?!?
Oh hell yes. It's freaking hot and humid here in the summer. And this car is a full cush daily driver.

Using stock motor mounts it was damned, damned close to the A/C lines on the firewall. I used a shorter PV motor mount on the left side to drop the motor down and lean it slightly away from them.

PS: I got it to that 99.5% point of completion last night. Everything done, fluids all added. Battery reconnected. Turned on the key, lights all came on. Went to crank it (low tension coil lead pulled off, crank 'til I see oil pressure)...
And nothing. No clicks, lights didn't dim, just nothing. I must have a wire off somewhere. I did double check quickly that the wire was on the starter terminal, and it was. It was late, I was tired, I just left that little bit of troubleshooting for this evening.

Hard to say, as it involved a whole engine rebuild. The motor blew up back in late October. But it took a while to track down a motor. Then some delay when the pistons and rods I got didn't work with each other (bought them here as a set, perhaps the seller didn't know they weren't compatible - pistons for crank steered rods, and piston steered rods, sigh). Then the machine shop's usual lag time. Waiting on parts (hard to figure out everything you need up front). Etc. All adds up to arond 6 months so far. But certainly not that much work, just that much calendar time.

It was suppsed to be a winter project, it's certainly lagged into spring.

Looks good John. Slow and steady wins the race.

Well, maybe not, but at least slow and steady doesn't break anything or catch on fire.

Back