• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Myles' '85 245 __ R.C.S.W. __ The Race Car Station Wagon!

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
Well, it's a long story with this one, but I've nicknamed her "The Town Bicycle." Everyone seems to have gotten a ride.

It's an '85 245 GLT factory Turbo Intercooled car. Though it's hard to tell, this car's original color is #175 Redwood Metallic.

DSCF7473.JPG

DSCF7185.JPG

I got it from my best bud Dave (ButterflyBrakeChecker) who got it from Andy (AndysBeta) who had it for years and years and eventually swapped in the M46, before selling it to Dave.

So, now she's mine.

"THE LIST"

:oogle:

‘85 Volvo 245 Turbo

Exterior

Flathood Conversion
2-Screw Amber Turn Signals
Bosch Fog Lights (Side Mount)
‘84- GL Tailgate (No 3rd brake light)
‘80-85 Manual Adjustable Side Mirrors
Quad-Round Headlight Assemblies
Hella 5.75” H4/H1 Headlight Lenses
Clear Headlight Shields
Euro Flathood Grill
1-1/4” Tow Hitch
15” 740 Steel Wheels (15x6 et25)
Stainless Steel Hub Caps

Interior

‘75-‘80 Dash Board
R-Sport Gauge Cluster (vw volts & oil pressure)
3-Gauge Dash Pod (turbo boost, oil pressure, narrowband AFR)
MOMO Steering Wheel Hub
MOMO SAAB Steering Wheel
140 Chrome Door Latch Trim

Accessories& Revisions

EFI Fuel Delivery Hose
EFI Fuel Pump Tray (fuel filter relocated to pump tray)
K-Jet Turbo Airbox modified for EFI
Coil Relocated to Firewall w/ Custom Bracket
'91+ AC/HVAC Unit
'91+ AC Firewall Panel w/ EZK Computer Bracket
'91+ AC Dryer & Hard Lines
'91+ AC Condensor
Optimized Vehicle Wiring Harness:

Main Harness
Repair Rotten Wires
Center Brake Light Delete
Power Mirror Delete
Cruise Control Delete
K-Jet Delete
Factory Speaker Wiring Delete
Shift Lock & A/T Ignition Inhibitor Delete
Fog Lights & E-Fan integrated with main harness
Custom stereo wiring integrated, heavy speaker cable & RCA
Reroute Coil Leads to Firewall Connector
Dash Dimmer & Rear Fog switches relocated to center

LH2.2 Engine Harness
LH2.2 541 ECU
EZK Ignition Integration
Ignition Control Module relocated to firewall bracket
Coil leads to firewall connector
Fused main power to starter
Oil Temp Lead Integrated
Re-route injector connectors
Integrate A/C Compressor Lead

Engine
Stock B21FT Long Block drilled for Knock Sensor
K-Jet Head injector plugs
EFI Intake Manifold w/ LH2.2 Throttle Body
"B" Cam
Bosch 850t "Orange-Top" High-Impedance Fuel Injectors
Electric Fan & Shroud
TLAO Silicone Coolant Hoses
Silicone Air Intake Couplers & Elbows
Stainless Steel Hose Clamps
'90+ Exhaust Manifold
TD04HL-13c Turbocharger
Custom oil feed & return line
Porsche 911 Manual Boost Controller
Modded 740 Downpipe
Mustang Muffler w/ Downturn Tip Before Axle

Drivetrain

1030 Carrier w/ 3.91 Ring & Pinion
Mustang 5.0 WC T5 Transmission, 3.35/.68
DeeWorks T5 Bellhousing Adapter
Mustang Fox Body Driveshaft
Yoshifab Driveshaft Adapter
Custom Transmission X-Member
JVAB Steel Flywheel
Sachs SAAB 9000 Aero Pressure Plate
ClutchNet 240mm Organic Clutch Disc

Suspension

242 GT Firewall Braces
Bilstein HD Struts & Shocks
IPD Wagon Overload Rear Spirngs
‘79 242 GT Front Springs
IPD 25/22mm Sway Bars
Poly Torque Rods

Brakes

ATE Atom Rotors
Yoshifab PTFE SS Front Brake Lines
Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines

When I got it, it had a poor excuse for a murdered out formal grill and a white formal hood, with 81 DL black out reflectors on the quad squares.

I've fixed various electrical shorts in the Kjet harness, replaced front brake pads and rotors and changed the motor oil.

It's been a rock solid car, despite having wastegate actuator issues. I've got to free up the wastegate door or replace the turbocharger soon.

It's become the product of my necessity for a simple, dead reliable work vehicle, and whatever else I could find in the garage.

In TB fashion, she sports a black flathood, quad round headlights and no grill...yet.

I deleted the power mirrors for simple, black plastic manual mirrors. Cruise control has been deleted as well.

The dash had some cracks and fading, so I swapped in my flawless '80 dashboard.

Slowly, but surely, all the brightwork is being upgraded to stock '83 DL trim.

Stay tuned.

In the mean time, explore the world of parts I have for sale,

And my other project.

Last edited:
that car has my old transmission in it, new clutch, pp, resurfaced flywheel, and other bits.

very cool old car thats been around a long time, i think it had my old VX cam in it for a while as well :lol:

Myles,

Not bad. At least, in the pics, it looks less like a leprosy wagon than mine did. Granted, mine was two years older and spent the first four years of its life in Phoenix before coming up here and spending most of its life parked outside.

-J

More about having a ride to work than tearin' up the tarmac....or gravel.

I've got all the "racecar" I need, blooming in the garage...

This is just a gateway to 25+mpg's and a whole host of cargo capacity.

Well....no time yet to go out and snap photos of her, as is.

Took some time this week to properly assemble a LH2.2 EFI conversion harness....still need injector plugs, before this becomes a reality....and my Turbo ECU needs to arrive still.

Just to tell the car's story, here's a picture of her in her glory days, back in 2007...

MVC-001S.jpg

Made some time for the Wagon today....

Thanks to "philski o'flood," I received a beautiful pair of IPD Wagon Overload Rear Coil Springs from the FedEx man...

DSCF7174.JPG

Here's the old setup...

DSCF7169.JPG

Car came to Dave from Andy, on some slightly cut wagon springs. Dave swapped in, what he thought were good, uncut OE wagon rear springs. They sagged awful, even with the car unloaded, and he stuffed them full of tennis balls on one of his moves down the coast.

DSCF7171.JPG

Note the Bilstein HD's...no special valving, yet. Standard 240 Bilstein HD's on all four corners. I got them used, from a member here and used them in my 242 for over a year, before going into this car, last year.

Out with the old...

DSCF7172.JPG

In with the new...

DSCF7175.JPG

HD Overload Wagon STANCE!

DSCF7176.JPG

I mentioned before, that the car has been through a few front ends...

Well, I guess it started here...

DSCN5772.jpg

Long story, but it happened when the car was loaned to a friend of a PO...car went back together just fine, with a new off-color fender, radiator support panels and a old silver/rust flathood.

When Dave sold it to me, it was converted back to a formal hood...a white hood, with a blacked out grill. I replaced the grill, but couldn't stand the white hood. A flathood came to me, along with a well preserved set of spider eye, quad-round headlights, and a black, Euro flathood grill. Relocated the fog lights to the outer ends of the bumpers. Looks much better...

DSCF7177.JPG

Though it's a GLT, I'd like to keep my work vehicle simple, so the power mirror system was deleted, in favor of these early style, manual mirrors...

DSCF7181.JPG

The interior is pretty hammered...faded, stained and ripped tan panels, seats and carpet. The dash had some cracks in it and fading, so I dug out a flawless early dashboard that I'd been saving. The dash pad swap is pretty straight forward, though there are some subtle differences in the HVAC plumbing pieces. I made extensions for the dash light dimmer switch, cigarette lighter and rear fog light switch. The later style cluster had to be cut down to fit in the early dash, and is still nowhere near perfect....there'll be a remedy for that soon enough. For now, enjoy this beauty as I continue to hunt for the interior's remaining components...

DSCF7170.JPG

Relatively stock B21FT, living strong with it's stock K-Jet CIS fuel injection...

Current known complications are a frozen wastegate door, bad fuel accumulator, and a unknown low rpm misfire that's yet to been investigated. Harness has seen better days...a lot of the insulation has crumbled away, though I've soldered in replacement patches where needed, so far.

DSCF7182.JPG

Going to stab at a few maintenance pieces, while I've got access, so with the intake manifold off, I'll replace my breather box and hood release cable. I've got to dig up some nice heater hoses and stainless clamps first.

DSCF7186.JPG

Last edited:
H1 bulbs were not to be found in the JY today....seems most of the high end lighting on cars uses those 9000-series bulbs.

Well, just a pair of H1 bulbs at the local parts store, no biggie...

DSCF7203.JPG

The wagon had a nasty series of dents in the tailgate....I deemed it a unworkable panel, in an auto body sense. Found a nice straight, color code matching tailgate off an 84- GL. Color matches, so less work for the painters (no jambing), 3rd brake light delete looks nice in my rear view mirror and I like the bright work around the glass....goes with the rest of the bright work that's been swapped onto the car, in place of the black Turbo trim.

DSCF7198.JPG

Cheap, plastic 52mm gauge hood arrived from GlowShift....helps complete my early dash swap, and looks as it should...

DSCF7201.JPG

I've been longing to investigate the mysterious intermittent clank from the front end.

Nothing to suggest a worn bushing in the control arms or worn tie rods or end links...but a obnoxious noise that must be stopped!

Always unfasten lugs by hand...well that's what I always do...

DSCF7207.JPG

A moment to admire some of my previous work....car was due for front pads and rotors as soon as I got it, so I dug up a pair of ATE Atom slotted/vented front rotors and a fresh set of pads.

Rotors are used, though have plenty of life left...no pulse or vibration when brakes are applied.

Also note the blue strut boot....that's protecting my Bilstein HD's...

DSCF7210.JPG

Back on the ground with a pair of 15x6" et25 steelies from a 740....would you know it, the hub mount 240 steelie center cap goes right back on.

Turned out, my clank was from loose sway bar end links. Tightened them both up and she's good to go!

DSCF7211.JPG

Those 14" rims & tyres have served well...provided a supple ride, adequate handling and excellent fuel economy. The 15's are a nice subtle upgrade, that I'm looking forward to. A little less chrome right now, without the Stainless Steel Beauty Rings, but that too shall change, soon as I source a set.

DSCF7212.JPG

Stay tuned...backs will be swapped soon enough.

Back