• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Elegant solutions

bartman

Having just acquired an adjustable cam gear, I was wondering if anyone has an elegant solution to gain access to the the gear and still retain the belt cover...possibly a large hole cover of stainless, or someway to just remove part of a cover, etc.
Also, the last 3 B23 intake conversions completed resulted in having to use some small rubber nipple covers, these are ugly, anyone have any ideas for this also?
1984 245 Ti

Some folks have cut a hole out of the timing cover, but running without a cover is not a good idea for the long term. Dirt gets around there, shortening the life of the belt and damaging the gears. Think of it like sandpaper, running at several thousand rpms ...

How often would you need to adjust it anyways?

-- Kane

As for removing the nipples, you could drill & tap the holes for NPT plugs. You could even get anodized/plated plugs for that extra tacky look (maybe Wick's Aircraft or Pegasus Racing).

I haven't run a timing belt cover in 20+ years and 100s of thousands of miles, no problems yet. I do make sure to run a belly pan. making a hole in the upper cover sounds like a good compromise.

Back