• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pressure or Vacuum Brake Bleeders?

adrianpike

🔥
Well, I have to replace my brake junction block, and I'm going to have to bleed the entire system afterwards. I'm looking at both a pressure bleeder and a vacuum bleeder that my local car parts store carries.
Has anybody here used either the "mityvac fluid evacuator" or the "Motive Power Bleeder" before?
The mityvac is a vacuum cylinder for suctioning all sorts of fluids, and they have a kit for doing brake lines with it. The Motive is a pressurized cylinder, which you fill with brake fluid, with a cap that fits over your brake reservoir to pressurize the brake system.
I'm currently leaning towards the pressure bleeder, both because it's 40 bucks cheaper, and because I won't have to constantly check (and forget to check) my fluid level. Also, if anyone has the Motive bleeder, which cap fits the volvo reservoir?

Thanks,
Adrian

Hi,
I have used the Mityvac system for years. It's very good and versatile to check other vacuum operated devices. However, it's always best to pressure bleed the brakes. So I just bought and used the Motive products bleeder. It was wonderful, saving a huge amount of time even over using the Mityvac. Truly one man no hassle brake bleeding. The import car cap is the one that fits the Volvo. It will also fit most other imports like BMW, Mercedes, VW, and Porsche. I also changed my car over to the blue ATE racing brake fluid. There is even a method whereby you lean the fluid away from the pickup tube. Then you let the fluid level go down until the brake reservoir is full. So this tool totally minimizes any spillage. I bought mine from http://www.fcpgroton.com This was one of the most positive brake bleeding experience ever.

Wish you well,

Probably b/c you risk getting air into the system.

I got a pressure bleeder, runs off the tires. I'll bleed the system when I revamp the brakes.

_z

yeah I thought IPD's thing was pressurized?

While bleeding brakes, whether it be pressure/vaccum/gravity, would you still want to pump the brakes? Not even just once? I'm assuming that if you need to drain all the fluid out for some reason, that the master cylinder is full of air. Now will the bleeder get rid of all that air or should you give it a pump or two of the foot? Just a thought I had..

Thanks,
John

The Motive pressure system works fine with no brake pedal pumping. You just drain the master cylinder, fill it with fresh fluid, attach the pressure bleeder and pump it up to 20-25 psi and go around to each brake valve and let the fluid come through until it is nice and clean. Some people use ATE blue and then alternate with ATE gold to make sure they get the fresh fluid through.

I can't see any way of getting air into the system using this method.

i've been using the Ezebleed system and it works fine. never had it leak or put air in my system. and i can get top cap to fit it for my hope disc brakes on my MTB too

Back