• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Reviving a '72 145 - D-Jet questions

Sometimes a few raps on the pump carrier box with a plastic or rubber hammer will get the pump going again. It helps to bypass the FP relay so the pump has power while tapping.

I gave that a shot - pulled the cover and gave it a few taps with a wrench. Haven't had a chance to dig in to the wiring to bypass the relay. I did find and replace the underhood fuse with no luck.

The thick yellow wire at the fuel pump relay goes to the pump. Use a jumper wire to supply 12 volts to that wire.

I once spent an embarrassingly long time diagnosing a 'dead fuel pump' on my 1800E. Turned out that I'd knocked off the wire that runs directly to the positive battery terminal that supplied all power to the injection system.

I'd just spend a little time making sure that things are hot that are supposed to be hot when the key is on.

Have you checked to see whether or not your getting fuel to the rail? I believe the easiest way is by pulling the hose from the cold start injector, placing it in something that can catch any potential/hopeful fuel and turning the key to the 1st on position (not the start position). You should hear the fuel pump try to prime/pressurize the system for a very short time and if the pump's working, you'll get some fuel out of this hose. If not, but you did hear the fuel pump, there's a check valve (basically a ball with a spring behind it) in the outlet from the pump. Sometimes, this can get stuck in the closed position and will keep fuel from exiting the pump. Eric at HiPerformance told me about this a few years ago when mine was stuck and I couldn't figure out was was going on. A mild push and all was good to go.

If your fuel pump seems to be not working (not turning at all, though you've definitely got voltage going to it), you can get access to it's guts by removing the piece with the check valve. I did once get a non-working fuel pump up and running by spraying a fair amount of PB Blaster into this opening and letting it soak overnight. Then, with gentle use of a screwdriver, I was able to get the inner part that spins to free up.

Back