• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Narrowing down rear end noise

I think I have this figured out but want to ask the pros.

'79 245, M46. Had a newer rear end from a '93 put in a few years back.

I get a good whine from the rear end of the car over 40MPH, pitch rises with speed of the car.

Thing is it ONLY happens when I'm sending power to the rear wheels. If I'm driving along at speed and push in the clutch for a moment to cruise, the sound goes away. Comes back the second I re-engage the clutch.

Does this point to u-joints more than the differential? I would think that the whine would be constant no matter what if the diff was starting to go. Thinking that the extra stress of turning the prop shaft/transmitting power to the rear end is putting stress on a failing u joint.

I've tried a diff flush for the hell of it with no change. Have replaced center bearing and donut within last two years, motor and tranny mounts new-ish as well. Willing to pull the driveshaft and replace all the u joints if that's the likely culprit, but just want to double check my thinking.

Gear whine. Drive side of the gear vs. coast side of the gear, you'll get different noises. Fluid weight and brand can make a big difference. Cheap gear oil can sing, good stuff may be fine.

Either way it's not the sign of impending doom.

Gear whine. Drive side of the gear vs. coast side of the gear, you'll get different noises. Fluid weight and brand can make a big difference. Cheap gear oil can sing, good stuff may be fine.

Either way it's not the sign of impending doom.

Aw crap. Thoughts on going 50/50 gear oil and Lucas stuff?

Back