• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Weak manifold, or just harmonics?

towerymt

the real Towery
That's a lot of wobble in that turbo at 3k.

What say you...inherent engine design/harmonics, or simply a function of the execution of this particular header/turbo system?

Strange turbo/manifold vibration at 3000 rpm
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VC6TAW6ah3g&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VC6TAW6ah3g&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

btw, it's not mine.

Looks/sounds broken to me. You have to be pretty particular to get a tube manifold right (have it not crack sooner than later). That oil feed setup is not conducive to turbo longevity either.

Looks/sounds broken to me. You have to be pretty particular to get a tube manifold right (have it not crack sooner than later). That oil feed setup is not conducive to turbo longevity either.

You mean the oil drain? Or is it getting unfiltered oil? I don't know ****-all about redblock oiling locations.

Are you sure the turbo is properly balanced?

Does it make a difference if there's a load on the motor? Tough to check, I know.

It's kind of tough because the camera wasn't very still. Maybe a brace or two need to be welded in to stabilize it.

feed angle doesnt matter, its drain that is the issue. Of course, one is 180* from the other but still.

The issue i see is the feed runs in front of that exposed cam gear and behind the exposed belt.

the manifold must be broken. I can't think of a better explanation.

The stock rotating assembly sees it's worst harmonics around 2k. . .

THAT is odd. Turbo balance is likely out. The speed at which the turbo is spinning, even without boost, would create more of a gyroscopic effect than anything else.

Specs on the head? single inlet to the turbo? The only thing I can think of is maybe you've got an odd harmonic, but with the gas pulse?

:wtf:

:wtf: Is the turbo bolted on, or held on with springs?
S-exhaust-springs.jpg

wouldnt matter if the turbo is in ballance or not, the turbo itself shouldnt be able to wiggle a 1/8" side to side. eather the manifolds cracked or well.. thats all i can think of..

I'm assuming the manifold is cracked. . . but still, what causes the vibrations? The vibrations likely caused the crack, which caused them to be large enough to be visually noticeable. . .

I've never worked with anything but stock cast manifolds, but I'm going to assume that a header, welded right, would have nowhere NEAR that much flex.

Back