• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Where are you planning on getting your pipe? I'm just going to pick up a generic $99 kit on ebay.

I bought my 3" pipe for the intercooler from www.CXracing.com, mostly because I got an IC from them so it was the first place I looked. Polished, not chrome with a 2mm wall. Nice heavy stuff and it polished up really well. It adds up though, I bought: 1 45*, 1 30*, 2 pieces of 18" straight and it was around $90. I only ended up using like 5" of straight but figured I'd order extra in case I needed it down the road.

I need a short 4" 45* for my turbo inlet and it looks like $30 for that piece alone :oops:. Glad I found a guy who welds on the cheap. Worth it though, until someone comes in and tells me I could have paid $14.75 at superhappypipewarehouse.cn.

Eh, that doesn't sound too bad. The kit I am looking at is from CXracing as well (8 pieces plus a bunch of straight couplers, 2 90* degree couplers, and a bunch of t-bolt clamps).

Intake manifold is here (Thanks, Nathan!)

The strut brace is interfering with the fuel rail, so I'll have to figure out what to do about that at some point, but it's not a big priority yet.

photo+3.JPG

YGq8h2Zy6WExU-GLpL8NjAIFS1_dZWjUV85Kc3bfKPg=w1024-h768-no

Clean engine bay...Mmmmmm

Clean Strut Brace....Ooohhhhhhh

Clean motor....Ahhhhhh

Dat Intake Mani......EEERRRRRRRMAGEEERRRRRRDDDDD!!!!!
Get it fixed son

solution, shorter rail and an external fuel pressure regulator...makes plumbing cleaner too.

Intake manifold sandblasted. Now i need to decide how to finish it. I want it to look like a natural cast aluminum finish so I'm bit hesitant about using silver paint, but also not so sure that just clearing it will be right. Thoughts, anyone?

IMG_4503.jpg

And then brakes distracted me from looking at the manifold and fuel rail any further.

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

The wheel clears the caliper, but not by much.

use plastikote brand aluminum cast rebuilders finish on the mani.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. Checking that out.

That's hot. Maybe there is a type of clear caliper paint that resists dust build up and is easy to clean

Are you talking about for the calipers or for the manifold? The calipers are already painted and I left a silky-smooth finish on the face so they should a bit easier to clean.

Intake manifold sandblasted. Now i need to decide how to finish it. I want it to look like a natural cast aluminum finish so I'm bit hesitant about using silver paint, but also not so sure that just clearing it will be right. Thoughts, anyone?

I blasted and used engine clear on an intake manifold for a 22re once. The finish was nice, but I think it was too much gloss. I'd head in the direction of a natural looking aluminum finish like what Rvolvo mentioned.

Looks good! Any reason you couldn't just stack a set of gt plates under the strut brace and move it up slightly?

With any amount of engine movement, it would likely contact still. I appreciate the suggestion--once I get this thing running and driving I will try it out. There's a lot to get done before iPd!

I just really, really, really want to drive this. Just around the block. One time. It'll be fast.

So do I! ;-)

Tom, we could attempt to rebracket the brace and move it up a little bit as well if you want. The other option is Rich can mill out some aluminum spacers as well.

Back