• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HIGH PERFORMANCE: Accessory Placement

MrBill

fige=500Dollar Mistake
300+ Club
93 240
16v swap in progress
a/c car
power steering car
I have this super-sweet Nathan manifold I had built. Twin scroll, twin external gates, the whole nine yards. Lordy is it pretty.

Nathan built it to my specs. I recall a picture of test fit in a 240.

Now I feel it was a 240 but maybe with 7 series accessories? Or maybe no alternator.

One of the pipes interferes with the alternator. There's a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch that wants to occupy the same space.

So I ask - the car is a 93. It has the late model A/C and all that jazz.

Will 7 series accessories fit? The A/C is in roughly the same place. The power steering pump appears smaller in dimensions than the alternator. If I got a 7/9-series alternator, would the lines to the rack work? Any idea?

I was also thinking I could maybe alter the alt brackets. I'm no fabricator, but I do have a welder and nothing but time.

My alternator is way down low...the 7 series is on the other side of the engine I think.

My alternator is currently in the stock position for a 240, low on the passenger side.

On a 7/9 the power steering is on the passenger side. Alternator is high on the driver's, a/c is low on the driver's.

I'm curious if this configuration fits and if there are any disasters to expect.

Could you build a drop bracket for the alternator? Like a 3/8" piece of steel with two sets of holes, one with through bolts for the alternator bracket, one set with bolts into the side of the block?

To answer your original question, I mocked stuff up with a 7 series bracket in my 79 at one point and it fit. Don't remember why I did that though.

Following- because I think we have the same manifold- or close enough anyways. All I want is PS and an alternator though. Do you have his intake manifold also? I heard there may be interference if I tried to run both PS and alternator on the drivers side (not even sure that's an option).

If it were me and there was no way to fit the alternator, I would opt for an electric power steering conversion and run the 700/900 series accessory setup with the alternator and the A/c on the driver side.

post-2404-1172697258.jpg

Could you build a drop bracket for the alternator? Like a 3/8" piece of steel with two sets of holes, one with through bolts for the alternator bracket, one set with bolts into the side of the block?
This is my first goal I believe.
If it were me and there was no way to fit the alternator, I would opt for an electric power steering conversion and run the 700/900 series accessory setup with the alternator and the A/c on the driver side.

Yeah I have an MR2 setup I can use. Might be worth trying.

I heard there may be interference if I tried to run both PS and alternator on the drivers side (not even sure that's an option).

I'm speaking from only having used/looked at the nicer late model integrated reservoir PS pump, but yeah there's no way you're going to stack an alternator and a PS pump on the intake side of the engine with that intake manifold. Not sure if a remote reservoir pump will gain enough space.

what are the trade offs though? Steering feel and feedback suffering in a big way? Every review I read of electric steering cars is kind of 'meh' and hemming and hawing over it. I know it took Porsche quite a while to get it 'right', not sure I'd put the same stock of faith in a cobalt.

Not much room to drop down anything on the passenger side as the crossmember is right below the alternator or the power steering pump. You haven't said anything about the crank pulley or damper or ballancer being 4mm out more from the engine because it's now 16v with 16v wider cam belt and crank gear so your pulleys won't line up. How you gonna fix that? Better add that to your how to fix also problem. I machined 4mm off the backside of a aluminum aftermarket crank pulley.

So I ask - the car is a 93. It has the late model A/C and all that jazz.

I was under the impression that the 16V head was too wide to fit in the '91+ cars with the updated AC systems.

Regarding your wanting to use a 740-style alt/ps/ac setup, that is absolutely possible with the potential of having to relocate the ps pump reservoir in a slightly different location than stock as the ABS module occupies the space where the reservoir typically goes. I have my '83 242 setup with a 740 arrangement, but that car is of course non-ABS. Everything fits fine. I did have to bend the ps hard lines a bit to get them rotated the right way for the ps rack, but it wasn't too bad on the lift.

Also, I assume that you're using a Bosch Alternator. The Denso alternators are quite a bit smaller. Would one of them give you enough clearance? Note: they take a shorter belt as well.

Last edited:
Back