• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Different Take on a V8 Swap - Duder's 4.6L Twin Turbo 245

I think the most impressive thing in this thread is that Michele went to the junkyard with you and helped you pull a whole rear suspension. My wife gives me grief if I ask her to pump the clutch for me.

I bought a Motive power bleeder a while back, and accepted my wife's resignation.

Actually, she quit and I replaced her with the Motive.

Last edited:
UX2frFR.gif

Thanks. I'll have to do some research about these coil besprung tourings.

That's for sure. She wasn't even upset, except felt sorry for me for not getting the parts I wanted. She likes going to the junkyard.

Does she have an available sister by any chance? :-P

LOL. That is surely SALVAGE YARD PROFILING and should be reported to the authorities. What authorities I don't know. I wonder if you went back disguised by being all dirty and with torn clothes the price would be much less.

Hmm sounds like an episode of something on youtube.....

I love this build. The stock Volvo stuff will work while you sort the rest of the build out. Then the right deal for IRS will happen.

Non swap related update: I got a set of Classic style wood dash trim custom made by Johann245 here on TB. I chose canary wood since I thought the yellow/orange/red hues would compliment the blue & black interior well, and provide a nice pop of contrast. The trim arrived last week and I promptly installed it in the non-running project car...but hey, it looks great! The quality is excellent, and it looks, feels, and even smells very classy. It's finished with teak oil. I managed to grab some real photos of the interior yesterday. Don't mind the misaligned glovebox door, which is coming apart like they all do.

R6zHqAph.jpg

9rS4NkLh.jpg

yFFL8ynh.jpg

wzQCgjwh.jpg

tH1gyUMh.jpg

80jBHLlh.jpg

Here in my family we've been referring to this 245 as "Fred's car." My 5-year-old was out exploring in the garage a few months ago and got spooked by something and told my wife there was a monster in the blue car. Instead of telling her monsters don't exist, Michele's response was "Oh, that's just Fred...he's a friendly monster." So now the kid looks forward to going out and sitting in the car to visit with Fred. Apparently he's big and shaggy but I've never seen him since he is pretty shy. Here's a little cupcake or birthday cake she made for Fred. It stays in the car for him.

YvKpbs1h.jpg

I bought a Motive power bleeder a while back, and accepted my wife's resignation.

Actually, she quit and I replaced her with the Motive.

That is a great bleeder. I've been using them for the past few years and couldn't be happier. We used to joke that bleeding the brakes was SO MUCH FUN...why did I have to go and make it a one-man job now?

Does she have an available sister by any chance? :-P

Nope!

Pft. Having a wife/gf that DOESN'T come to the junkyard is a good thing. That way, everything I buy is conveniently $20...tee hee.

Good trick, but only if she is in charge of your finances, which I'd recommend against...

LOL. That is surely SALVAGE YARD PROFILING and should be reported to the authorities. What authorities I don't know. I wonder if you went back disguised by being all dirty and with torn clothes the price would be much less.

Hmm sounds like an episode of something on youtube.....

I love this build. The stock Volvo stuff will work while you sort the rest of the build out. Then the right deal for IRS will happen.

Thanks for that. Yeah I'll get the rear end figured out eventually - not a priority, just an interesting side project but it's probably best for me to stay focused on the swap for now.

Twin turbo V8 245 and that last picture -- priceless.

The kid likes going fast already, but I don't think she understands what "Fred's car" is going to be capable of.

Let me know if you figure out a better pick-n-pull situation here in SoCal. LKQ is notorious for doing that, posted price of brake calipers: $35, if you pull calipers they will--no joke--say that those aren't the calipers you asked about and they're $95 each...New ones are $85 lol.

My favorite thing is the "cover charge" as you walk in. The one here in Pomona is like $3 cash only to come in a poke around lol.

You're build is epic btw! I can't wait to see this thing fly. I have always had a soft spot for mustangs so I'm subbed and happy! Keep it up!

Given what the car will be capable of, I kind of viewed it like Fred the monster IS the car.

I'll do my best to build this thing into a monster car that makes gearheads out of my kid and her friends :)

Let me know if you figure out a better pick-n-pull situation here in SoCal. LKQ is notorious for doing that, posted price of brake calipers: $35, if you pull calipers they will--no joke--say that those aren't the calipers you asked about and they're $95 each...New ones are $85 lol.

My favorite thing is the "cover charge" as you walk in. The one here in Pomona is like $3 cash only to come in a poke around lol.

You're build is epic btw! I can't wait to see this thing fly. I have always had a soft spot for mustangs so I'm subbed and happy! Keep it up!

That's such BS, but thanks for commiserating and letting me know it's more of a widespread problem. LKQ can shove a Hexapus up their money-holes. I used to like Ecology Auto Wrecking - they were more fair on pricing, but LKQ bought all their locations, as far as I've seen. They are getting fairly monopolistic. They've always had a cover charge - it was $2 for many years and they recently upped it to $3. They need to keep all their shareholders happy! F them.

logo.png

Last edited:
On the other end of the spectrum - I went to my local "Pull-A-Part" a few years back to see if I could find a bit of weather stripping for the doors of my car. An 82 -- I was looking for a 92 or 93 - 10 year 'newer' stuff in better shape than mine. Of course - 2 door vs. 4 door - I knew I'd be bringing home all 4 doors worth and then cutting it up to fit on mine. Found a 93 with decent looking stripping. Took the rubber seals as well as the wind-noise-gap filler strips that mine never had on it. I didn't measure -- but ya'll can imagine, I must've had 50-60 feet of weather stripping. I didn't ask about pricing beforehand. Figured it couldn't be too expensive.

When I got to the older woman at the checkout she informed me that weather stripping was "$1.50/foot sir". I respectfully pointed out that price simply wasn't going to work. She said "Well, sir, I have to charge $1.50/foot. And then, with just a hint of a smile, she looked me right in the eye and said "how many feet do you think you have there?" I smiled back and said "I think I have about 10 feet." She said "well that will be $15 + tax -- that sound about right?" Yes ma'am - that sounds about right.

Last edited:
Hehe.

Engine mount ideas. Just ideas at this point but I've been mulling over options for weeks now. Soon to be knocked up in CAD (cardboard aided design).

z4v01ooh.jpg

Those mounts are almost exactly what I did for the rally car, except the chassis side mounts are flush with the top of the frame rail. If you can lower the chassis mounts to the tubes are at a downward angle, you'll have a stronger mount (less bending). Are you running them higher for the downpipe to go underneath the arms?

== I found the car, checked with the cashier to get a price, which was $232 for the "Rear axle assy, independent D to D" plus rotors, calipers, and the rear sway bar. So we spend about 2 hours pulling the thing out (photo above)...cart it over on a wheelbarrow, get up to the same exact cashier, and he pulls out the "oh, you got a bunch of extra parts on there mang" line. :roll:

Ok, so I figure they are going to tack on $50 or $100 for the airbags, and whatever else they feel like charging me for. I'm not new to this and expect a bit of that. But this guy was out of control, and racked up an $800 price tag for the whole assembly, not counting the air compressor. Would've been $900 with tax! The guys told me "that's not what you asked for a while ago" (it was...) and "that's not a rear independent axle assembly." Yes it Effing is! What the hell is a "rear axle assy, independent D to D" if it's not this?!? I told them to shove it and I left the yard empty handed. Super frustrating but I felt like it was extortion to pay them $900 for this. It was all 528i stuff, so small brakes, small diff compared to 540i, and I likely would've replaced the axles, bags, bearings, seals, etc... I was down for $200 - $300 for an experiment, but they went over the line.=.

Same thing happened to me with an entire 93 240 HVAC. Im sorry you had to go through all of that.

Any reason in particular to go over to the frame rather than straight down (more or less) to the cross member? Based on my experience with a couple of different v8's in mine, that real estate between the frame rail and motor is valuable and the frame mount gets in the way. The first V8 had a frame connection and I eliminated it for the second V8. I figure with all the exhaust/intake plumbing you'll have, you might want access to that bit of the bay unencumbered by the mount. Just thinkin' out loud....

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My goal is to keep the mounts fairly high so I have room for downpipes underneath on the passenger side. Not shown yet is the AC compressor which lives low on the passenger side and will restrict space further. It's in front of the starter as shown in the front view. On the driver's side the mount probably needs to be this high anyway to clear the steering column and end of the rack. There may be room for a downpipe there, not sure yet.

I'm going to need to make my own log manifolds that point forward, and will keep those fairly high as well. The individual runners might have a slight upward turn out of each exhaust port to meet the log.

Those are the ideas anyway. I may have space to move the frame side of the mount downward so the main arms will be either horizontal or slightly downward pointing. Will need to mock up some tubes in the car to find out.

If I were going to run an NA V8, I would totally keep the mounts down as low as possible, likely bolted to the crossmember. With another set of exhaust tubing needing a place to go, things get more complicated.

Another benefit of keeping the mounts high like this is a longer moment arm between the rubber (or poly) mounts and the crank centerline.

Back