home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
TestPoint
Board Member

Default '81 Bertone (B28F) BW55 to AW71 swap

I know I am going to have to pull the transmission on my '81 Bertone (B28F) to replace the front pump seal so o o o o I have to ask 'is a trans swap to an overdrive AW71 realistic?'.

The trans only has 25k miles on it but those seals are prone to leak and this one sure does.

The forum search engine sucks.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
TestPoint
Board Member

Well, Mr. Google came up with an answer over on the brickboard. Appears not.

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/...5_vs_aw71.html
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
JohnLane
Board Member

Do it Tom..... I did.

The fourth ratio is nice.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
nel621
Board Member

A while back I had looked into doing the same thing. It was my understanding that along with the AW70 you needed a different bellhousing and have the driveshaft made shorter. When I bought my 81 coupe I had the option to have the AW70/71 installed but sadly I did not have the extra funds at the time. The fellow I bought the car from was an all Volvo guy and he said he had done this conversion to few coupes, with all Volvo parts. He was located in Kansas but I have since lost all contact info for him.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
Do it Tom..... I did.

The fourth ratio is nice.
John can you post the parts that you used for your conversion.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
JohnLane
Board Member

V-6 Bellhousing for the AW box.... Box was out of a 700 car.

I made the trans mount work.... Weld tabs onto the crossmember so it matches up with holes in the frame rail... Easy.

I'm using the driveshaft out of a M-46 for the V-6 in a 240 (three large U-Joints).... It is just a little short but no biggie... I squeezed it in the center bearing and it works great. Doing it right is making up a front shaft and balancing the complete driveshaft.

Tom your car should have the 'Three Large' U-Joints driveshaft.... If so you can measure with the trans installed for how long the front shaft needs to be.... Take that measurement to the driveshaft shop and they'll make up a shaft for you; balanced and ready to go with new U-Joints.

I supplied power to the solenoid any time the key is on...... Don't need to lock it in third as it never hunts. You could use IPd's block-off plate or do your own enhancement to the plunger.

The AW is a nice box.
JohnLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
nel621
Board Member

V-6 Bellhousing for the AW box.... Box was out of a 700 car.
This V6 bellhousing was sourced from what a 760?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
TestPoint
Board Member

I thought the AW70/71 bell housing was part of transmission housing . . . ? ? ? ?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Use bellhousing from 760/780 V6 83-90. There's one in the JY I'll pull for you if you want. I think you can keep your converter and driveplate (same IIRC).

Converter housing is removable, but different between 3 and 4-speed. Install 240TIC shift kit and high stall converter if you wish as well as 240T police car trans cooler (same as a 740, just with T-static bypass in some years and braided hoses running through the front sheetmetal). Optional with towing package.

Sort out the x-member and driveline, shift linkage is the same. THe Bw/AW55 is 3/4 of an AW7x, just doesn't have the overdrive behind the pump in the converter housing, and has a different valvebody arrangement (obviously).

B280 running on the K-lambda is nice. Would make a nice runner with some B280E heads and machined distributor with the eagle liners and pistons for 3L, as well as some ported eagle exhaust manifolds. They really really revised those engines when they went to even fire and fixed every little stupid nitpick thing on them, except for the gaskets on the cylinder liners, which are always kind of a PITA.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 03-24-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
Use bellhousing from 760/780 V6 83-90. There's one in the JY I'll pull for you if you want. I think you can keep your converter and driveplate (same IIRC).

Converter housing is removable, but different between 3 and 4-speed. Install 240TIC shift kit and high stall converter if you wish as well as 240T police car trans cooler (same as a 740, just with T-static bypass in some years and braided hoses running through the front sheetmetal). Optional with towing package.

Sort out the x-member and driveline, shift linkage is the same. THe Bw/AW55 is 3/4 of an AW7x, just doesn't have the overdrive behind the pump in the converter housing, and has a different valvebody arrangement (obviously).

B280 running on the K-lambda is nice. Would make a nice runner with some B280E heads and machined distributor with the eagle liners and pistons for 3L, as well as some ported eagle exhaust manifolds. They really really revised those engines when they went to even fire and fixed every little stupid nitpick thing on them, except for the gaskets on the cylinder liners, which are always kind of a PITA.
They even fixed the gaskets for the liners! They became metal. Used in the B-280 and EP/DM engines. I've never had an issue with them...

A three liter on healthy K-Jet IS nice. I had the hole machined in the head for the distributor and gave the distributor the trigger wheel out of a B-30 for even firing pulses.... Perfectly smooth idle and nice power...... I have a distributor gear in the toolbox that will bolt to the end of a B-280F cam for just that! Haven't used it in 17 or so years.

Hey we have to chat about a trans oil cooler that you may or may not have.....
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
neptune
2.1L 2.3L 2.8L 2.8L

My 80 262C was done using an 84 760 AW71 originally behind a B28F but any of the V6 AW71s from a 760/780 should do fine. Don't know enough to say if you could adapt a 240 box. Driveshaft looks to be an M46 or M47 one from a 240. Original in-radiator trans cooler (no external, but I would add one). You can either use the OD bypass plate or else install the wiring/relay from a 240 or 760 for OD. Not sure how they did the crossmember, I think it is the original one. Flexplate is stock.
It had the stock shifter setup but I swapped in the 93 240 shifter.
It is all lying on the garage floor if you need any photos. A cylinder liner gasket gave up and it will have three pedals when I'm done with it. Eventually.
The V6 is much happier with an AW71 than the BW55. Its no M46, but I really enjoyed driving mine with the AW71.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune View Post
A cylinder liner gasket gave up and it will have three pedals when I'm done with it. Eventually.
The V6 is much happier with an AW71 than the BW55. Its no M46, but I really enjoyed driving mine with the AW71.
Let me know if you want to make a more amusing engine of your V-6.

It can have a perfectly smooth idle with big naturally aspirated torque. Really moves a Volvo along nice.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
TestPoint
Board Member

It is a dark and stormy night . . . and the Alabama - Georgia SEC Championship Game is a real nail biter. I went to Alabama . . . with Joe Namath. That was some time ago.

. . . but I got the PRV bell housing for my AW70 in the mail, literately picked it up at the Post Office. 77volvo245 was cleaning out his stash and found one.

Now I need a 30 gallon steel drum . . . to put the transmission in for rebuild. I have the full GreenBook on the rebuild but no experience to go with it. I discussed rebuild with two different small transmission shops in the area and they both wanted over a thousand dollars with me setting the transmission on their workbench. Clutch disks and all rings/seals kit is about $150.

I figure that I will get a $1000 education over the winter.

[edit] Alabama just won the SEC, on to the National Championship!

Last edited by TestPoint; 12-01-2018 at 08:47 PM..
Old 12-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
JohnLane
Board Member

Easy box to do. Pay attention to the order it all comes out in.

$1000 well saved.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #15
nel621
Board Member

I've mentioned this before, make sure you have a loooong table to work on. Start at one end, remove a part and place it at the opposite end. And so on and so on. Keeping things in order.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
It is a dark and stormy night . . . and the Alabama - Georgia SEC Championship Game is a real nail biter. I went to Alabama . . . with Joe Namath. That was some time ago.

. . . but I got the PRV bell housing for my AW70 in the mail, literately picked it up at the Post Office. 77volvo245 was cleaning out his stash and found one.

Now I need a 30 gallon steel drum . . . to put the transmission in for rebuild. I have the full GreenBook on the rebuild but no experience to go with it. I discussed rebuild with two different small transmission shops in the area and they both wanted over a thousand dollars with me setting the transmission on their workbench. Clutch disks and all rings/seals kit is about $150.

I figure that I will get a $1000 education over the winter.

[edit] Alabama just won the SEC, on to the National Championship!
FWIW, there is a low mile M46 for sale with BH down in Texass..... parts just listed last night.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
TestPoint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
FWIW, there is a low mile M46 for sale with BH down in Texass..... parts just listed last night.
Thanks for the note but I think I will stick with the auto box.