home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
ParadigmShift013

Default 1991 Volvo 240 Nexus 7 Install

A lot of folks have been putting these Nexus 7 tablets in double DIN car stereo bezels. I knew the dash was about the right size to fit it in, but with some considerable alterations. So here's my project so far.

Also viewable via my imgur gallery.

A fitment test. Just seeing where the cables are going to have to go, mostly.

Out comes everything, because I need to do some alterations on the dash framing and repair some things.

Laying on the workbench, you can see that my 23 year old plexi gage cluster has a broken lens. I fabricated up a replacement while I had it out.

This is after I repaired the cluster, recessed the stock radio, which will still be used to drive the audio channels to speakers and amp, and temporarily blocked off the heating vents which will later get re-routed to a vertical position where those two square covers are in the middle of the dash. I added steel flat-stock sections as magnetic attachment points for the touchscreen bezel.

It's close to finished. There are little peg standoffs with strong magnets near the corners, to hold it to the dash frame. Maybe one more basecoat and a protective coating, and I'll mount the Nexus and then I just have some fine points to finish up with the wiring and software. Not pictured is something I picked up from another modder's thread. I didn't want to alter the tablet or damage it in any way, so I put painter's tape around the edges and hot-glued it in place on the back of the bezel. It's pretty firm, and if I ever need to take it out, it's a matter of breaking some of that glue off and sliding it out. the leftover glue will only be stuck to the painter's tape.

I'm about 95% done. Moving the power supply behind the center console and fine tuning settings next. I was using my Galaxy S III in a car mount for music and navigation, and was connecting to the radio via a BluBridge Bluetooth receiver, which is what that second charge cable runs to. I had thought I'd just jack into the 3.5mm headphone port on the Nexus and not have to use the BluBridge anymore, but I ran a test and was getting a pattern of popping sounds in the background. I can only assume it's due to electrical system feedback, but the curious thing is that it doesn't do that when I plug directly into my Galaxy S III. If anyone has any ideas on how to eliminate that issue or troubleshoot it, let me know!

ParadigmShift013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
Bearhat
Board Member

I like the install. The bezel looks great.
Bearhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
AJS
Board Member

The vents are a big killer. Be interesting to see that solved in a manner that looks good.
I wanted a double DIN in that location but didn't have time to rework the dash enough to get a decent looking solution that keeps the center vents.
AJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
cleanflametrap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmShift013 View Post
I had thought I'd just jack into the 3.5mm headphone port on the Nexus and not have to use the BluBridge anymore, but I ran a test and was getting a pattern of popping sounds in the background. I can only assume it's due to electrical system feedback, but the curious thing is that it doesn't do that when I plug directly into my Galaxy S III. If anyone has any ideas on how to eliminate that issue or troubleshoot it, let me know!
Idea I have is to disconnect the charging power supply. If you are using that one that's in your cigar lighter socket, sharing ground may couple DC to the tablet's audio. I bet it is a common trouble and as a result someone in car audio knows who makes an isolated charger or ground loop killer.

Nice bezel. I keep re-reading, hoping I just missed the details on how you made that. Also will be watching to see how you re-arrange the airflow at the center vents.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Having the air come from either side of the tablet might be a good option. I thought about doing something like this not too long ago; thanks for the tips!
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
12david34
Board Member

awesome idea and progress...
12david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Mark G
Board Member

Bumping this thread as I've been toying with a similar idea, which would add a SDR dongle to the tablet. Did you ever work out the noise issue (popping) that you described? I agree with others that mentioned it may be a ground isolation issue. If you're still having issues, I'd try one of these cheap ones:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...lator&_sacat=0

Did you wind up re-routing the air flow from the vents?

Parted and crushed: 1990 245 DL

Feedback thread
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Super neat. Basically, can do a real double-DIN install also like this? Except for the air vent issue...

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
oifish
I'm feeling extra zazzzy

Toadies! Hell yea

Buy/Sell Feedback
oifish is offline   Reply With Quote