home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
intothelabyrinth
Board Member

Default 86+ Cruise Control How To

I just recently pulled the cruise control system from my 1986 parts car and installed it into my 1988 245. I thought I would put all this info together in one place as a sort of guide to installing the 86-88 Volvo 240 cruise control system.

Here are the components you need to pull from the donor car. (You don't need the cat, but it helps.)

1.The servo valve/reservoir. This will be located on the passenger side of the firewall. A vacuum line will tee off of the intake with the climate control vacuum line. Another vacuum line along with an electrical harness of 3 wires will run from the valve into the car. This runs behind the climate control box to the drivers side where it is hooked to the Servo, as well as the cruise control wiring harness.

2. The vacuum actuated servo is located under the drivers side dash. It mounts to the column and has a bracket for switches that are depressed by the brake, and the clutch. The servo has a cable that is attached to the throttle cable via a pin.

3. The cruise control turn signal stalk has a button on the end for setting the speed, as well as a switch to energize the cruise control unit, and resume speed. It has a 4 wire harness that connects to the cruise control wiring harness.

4. The cruise control box electronically controls the servo valve to maintain the set speed. It needs the connections for the servo valve, and turn signal stalk, as well as an ignition switched 12v source and a ground. The orange wire connects to the rear of the instrument cluster to the two pronged "taxi output." This output is derived from the UAF2115 chip in the speedo.

*POINT OF NOTE* Never hook up the stray red/white wire behind the dash to the taxi output. This wire is for the tachometer and it will fry the UAF2115 chip in the speedo. If a previous owner has already done this (as in my case) you can replace the UAF2115 chip on the speedo circuit, or you will need to get a good used speedo/working 86+ cluster.

Once you have removed all the components from the donor car, it is pretty self explanatory how to put it all back together. Assembly is the reverse of removal as they say. Here are some resources for understanding the 86+ Volvo 240 cruise control system, as well as some troubleshooting procedures. If anyone has any clarifications or corrections, let me know.

Enjoy!

1989 245 Auto California Car
1999 V70 T5 Auto (Girlfriend's Daily)

brokedownbrick.wordpress.com

Last edited by intothelabyrinth; 11-29-2018 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Clarification
intothelabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
smeha
Tranny Whisperer

Great write, let mods know so they can move to "article composition" sub-forum of the turbobricks
Quote:
I've been molested by a guy who happened to own 7 and 9 series
<--- Just a dumpster on fire
smeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
57plymouth
Board Member

FYI; the system in this write up is different than what is used in the 1990 and up cars. Possibly 1989. The system that I have in my 1991 came out of a 1990, and it does not use the vacuum system here or connect to the instrument cluster.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
intothelabyrinth
Board Member

89 seemed to be a year that changed quite a bit with the introduction of LH2.4, so I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced the last 240 cruise system then too. It would be interesting to nail that down for sure so I can add that information. So far I'm pretty sure this system was available from the factory from 86-88.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
thismachine13
Board Member

Definitley '89 as my cruise control set up is different.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
intothelabyrinth
Board Member

89 it is.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
cleanflametrap
Board Member

I think this applies 86-89. Bentley (360-14.15) thinks so too. I have two 89's. The vacuum pump on the firewall, vacuum servo inside the car at the pedal, and independence from manifold vacuum came with the airbag cars, 1990. The 90-93 system uses the 2115 taximeter output same as the 86-89, but not through the tab on the back of the cluster; it connects through the round plug pin 6. Great writeup has everything in one place!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
intothelabyrinth
Board Member

Appreciate it Art, I've definitely learned a lot from you! I felt this was one subject that the info was spread around here an there, so putting it together in one spot might help someone in the future when trying to learn how this thing works.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
thismachine13
Board Member

This makes sense too, as I’ve always thought my ‘89 was a late production car.

Hoping that means I got the 13mm rods.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote