• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 rough no-start, timing belt slipped a tooth

BBB007

Tried to fire up the '93 240 Wagon/ Estate and it turned normally then bucked. Shut it down and tried again but it barely ran... like it was running on one or two cylinders if at all.

So I pulled the top timing belt cover off and started checking it's tension and if it slipped a tooth somewhere. Sure enough the belt was a bit loose and it had skipped a tooth on the intermediate shaft gear. This caused the dizzy's rotor to not quite point at the TDC mark on the casing. I guess the computer couldn't adapt enough and hence the no start/ rough start condition. I loosened the tensioner bolt a bit, then pried back on it with a large screw driver on the engine casing enough to get the Intermediate shaft to rotate a tooth. That way when the tensioner was re-tightened, the rotor pointed right at the mark on the Dizzy casing all while the crank and camshaft were at confirmed TDC.

On the restart, it coughed a bit (probably from being a bit flooded) then revved right up. So if you are having rough/no-start engine missing problems, check the tension on the timing belt and make sure all the everything lines up as it's supposed to be. A new timing belt is on my to-do list now.

Thank you cleanflametrap for the great helpful photos!

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3383911&postcount=10

Back