• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT Swap Failed California referee inspection for wrong distributor

Yup, what ^^^^ said...I think.

What about the Regina cars? I know they put the coil on the left tower, seems like that would be a LONG coil wire if it was head mounted...

^1984 760 Turbo with the B23FT, then some 1993 940 Regina cars, and all 1994-95 940 Regina cars use leftover 1993 240 series B230F engines with the 700 style accessory brackets and the Regina fuel system installed.

To the OP, got any friends who live in WA? Register it up here. It's already emissions exempt. After 2020, the only vehicles that will be checked are OBD-II vehicles. They'll be done when the vehicles go in for servicing. So, registration will only entail paying the fees and getting your tabs.

My '90 245 has a Swedish emission sticker under hood and says something like "Engine B200F fullfill Swedish emission standard (240, 740)" So for Volvo it seems to be same what distributor they put.

Also when Swedes are registering their 240 with Ft's they have somekind written comment from Volvo.

So I took it back in today to a different referee and got failed again for the wrong distributor and the wrong ecu. Apparently the ecu I got with my engine is from a 1995 940 so I just need to find a 1994 ecu to fix that part. This time the guy didn't try saying that the ecu controls the distributor but he still wouldn't allow me to mix parts from different engines even though I explained that they're functionally the same. The last thing i can think of trying before changing engines to get through smog is somehow mounting the 940 distributor on the front of the head but I'm not sure how difficult this might be.

So I took it back in today to a different referee and got failed again for the wrong distributor and the wrong ecu. Apparently the ecu I got with my engine is from a 1995 940 so I just need to find a 1994 ecu to fix that part. This time the guy didn't try saying that the ecu controls the distributor but he still wouldn't allow me to mix parts from different engines even though I explained that they're functionally the same. The last thing i can think of trying before changing engines to get through smog is somehow mounting the 940 distributor on the front of the head but I'm not sure how difficult this might be.
You should have told him you got the motor like that, possible for a 94-95 940

Hah there was a members car on here that cut a hole in firewall. He was burgerball one year.

Go diesel swap bro. They shouldn't be techs if they cant understand if its the same thing. Same mentality that runs the smog programs and the state so no surprise there I guess.

I was there man, it was awful

I dug through the computer cancer that is photobucket and found the picture of the hole in the firewall with a 740 dizzy....
ENJOY GUYS!

Yes, that was INDEED worse in person. That entire car was worse in person. That hole was not cut, it was made with a digging bar. Zip ties for hose clamps on coolant lines, holding the oil cooler to the sway bar to keep it off the ground, etc.

I'm not quite sure how the tech said the ECU is from a 95 instead of a 94, since the ECU's were mixed around amongst the years and there isn't really a part number lookup to discern one from the other.

Back