• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Make your 960 ridiculous: Put some paddle shifters on it!

I was thinkin maybe you could make a little LED panel with numbered faces to show you what gear you're in, that would be sweet! It should be do-able right? Since the controller knows what gear you're in, could you just have another output to power the proper LED?

I was watching that old yahoo megashift forum for a while now, never saw any progress on anything. I'm really glad that you took control and actually DID it.

John

The Aspirator said:
I was thinkin maybe you could make a little LED panel with numbered faces to show you what gear you're in, that would be sweet! It should be do-able right? Since the controller knows what gear you're in, could you just have another output to power the proper LED?

I was watching that old yahoo megashift forum for a while now, never saw any progress on anything. I'm really glad that you took control and actually DID it.

John
my original fear that everything was gonna break kinda bit me in the ass in that regard :-D I used a (much) cheaper basic stamp 1, which only has 8 i/o pins. I onyl have two left as it stands, so not enoguh to control a gear display :-( If I get around to doing my new guage cluster before I have an MS-II solution set up, then I'll just get a BS2 with its 16 i/o pins, and strap it up to a 7 segment display. that oughta look rockin :)

ok 1st of all: holy ****ing **** goddamn, that is the coolest ****ing thing i've seen in recent history.

secondly: i skimmed the original write up like 4 times now, (if i try to read it all the electrical mumbo jumbo makes my eyes cross and i involuntarily reach for some sort of bottle...) and i still cant find what tranny you are using for this...is it just the factory 960 tranny?

and will this ever work in a 760? :badboy:

turboluv said:
ok 1st of all: holy ****ing **** goddamn, that is the coolest ****ing thing i've seen in recent history.

secondly: i skimmed the original write up like 4 times now, (if i try to read it all the electrical mumbo jumbo makes my eyes cross and i involuntarily reach for some sort of bottle...) and i still cant find what tranny you are using for this...is it just the factory 960 tranny?

and will this ever work in a 760? :badboy:
the stock aw30-40LE in the 960 yes. and it won't work for a 760 or anything with a fully mechnical transmission :-( doesnt mean you cant try to retrofit a aw30-40 to the redblock though, heh

the poi said:
doesnt mean you cant try to retrofit a aw30-40 to a redblock tho, heh

i take that as a subtle way of saying thats a difficult task? this coming from somebody who figured out how to put paddle shifters on a volvo is somewhat disheartening :-P

turboluv said:
i take that as a subtle way of saying thats a difficult task? this coming from somebody who figured out how to put paddle shifters on a volvo is somewhat disheartening :-P
heee. compare some pictures of both, theres some whispers floating around that you could put the aw71 bellhousing on the aw30-40, but my foggy memory of the aw71's bell makes me think it isnt that easy....

the poi said:
my original fear that everything was gonna break kinda bit me in the ass in that regard :-D I used a (much) cheaper basic stamp 1, which only has 8 i/o pins. I onyl have two left as it stands, so not enoguh to control a gear display :-( If I get around to doing my new guage cluster before I have an MS-II solution set up, then I'll just get a BS2 with its 16 i/o pins, and strap it up to a 7 segment display. that oughta look rockin :)

Aren't two pins enough to run one of the LCDs off of the paralax website?

not without a PWM output or that sort of thing. technically only 2^2 available combinations, and thats only 4. couldnt run a pwm output as it could not run while the main loop ran : (

740TurboPerformance said:
To quote Jeremy Clarkson "uggggh, floppy gear box" (freakin' floppy paddles) . . . .

he likes the automatic trans w/ flappers, he just doesnt like the manual trans w/ flappers 'cause they don't work.

werd...

coldfusion21 said:
how different is the aw30-40 from an 4l60e? as in if i built your basic stamp, would it control a 4l60e, or are most e trannys different?

you could do it.

even if they were different.

megasquirt is/was working on a 4l60e controller at one point.

or im making stuff up....

Back