• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Heater core removal

chris1kanobi

I replaced a blower fan on my old 240 and according to the book the heater core is located directly behind the fan. Do you have to remove the fan allong with the core or can I slide the core out by itself? Any pointers, tips etc.? Thanks. :-D

chris1kanobi said:
I replaced a blower fan on my old 240 and according to the book the heater core is located directly behind the fan. Do you have to remove the fan allong with the core or can I slide the core out by itself? Any pointers, tips etc.? Thanks. :-D

When Volvo built the 240 they hung a heater core from the roof and built the car around it. The whole heater matrix needs to be removed. The console and most of the dash needs to come out in order to get the heater matrix out. Lotsa fun... be sure to label every wire and take lots of pictures so you can get it all back together again.

How attached are you to the car?

245gti said:
When Volvo built the 240 they hung a heater core from the roof and built the car around it. The whole heater matrix needs to be removed. The console and most of the dash needs to come out in order to get the heater matrix out. Lotsa fun... be sure to label every wire and take lots of pictures so you can get it all back together again.

How attached are you to the car?

this is something a 240 owner dreads...I'm always hoping, not mine, not mine...:(

There is a method of removing the core which involves using a chainsaw and cutting it out then replacing it and then welding/gluing the cut out piece back on.

I've done 2 of my cars now.... one wasn't stressful because I had the dash apart for re-wiring anyway. The last one just made me realize how much of a pain they are.. But gotta do what'ya gotta do.

Here is the heater assembly that contains the blower motor and heater core (see the copper pipes out the top?)
54037.jpg

Insert that here V (keep in mind I have more stuff removed then maybe necessary)
54036.jpg

Good luck! Adrians chainsaw method looks much easier.. i might give that a try on my beater if it needs a heater core. :cool:

When I had my heater core done on my 89 240 GL the guy just took enough of the dash apart to see the top of the housing the core sits in. Then he took a dremel (or similar) and cut the top of the housing off and slide the core out the top. Otherwise you need to take everything out, take the housing the core sits in out and split it in half. Using this method, the guy who did mine saved like another 5 hours or something ridiculous like that. Then when he put it back together I think he used a water tight silicon and duct taped over it. Still works fine, might be worth a shot...

Sounds similar to the "chainsaw" method described up above. Atleast w/ this way you don't need to play around w/ a substantial amount of dashboard parts. Goodluck

harry124 said:
When I had my heater core done on my 89 240 GL the guy just took enough of the dash apart to see the top of the housing the core sits in. Then he took a dremel (or similar) and cut the top of the housing off and slide the core out the top. Otherwise you need to take everything out, take the housing the core sits in out and split it in half. Using this method, the guy who did mine saved like another 5 hours or something ridiculous like that. Then when he put it back together I think he used a water tight silicon and duct taped over it. Still works fine, might be worth a shot...

Sounds similar to the "chainsaw" method described up above. Atleast w/ this way you don't need to play around w/ a substantial amount of dashboard parts. Goodluck

There's one minor problem with that method. It's large, glass, and in your way. Ganking it out the side allows you to sit on your back in the passenger footwell rather than hunched over the dash remnants continually bashing your head against the aforementioned large glass obstruction.

YMMV.

Back