home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #76
Wookie drift missle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Fixed.
I like using auto transmission for all my underpoweres dirt toys. It's like finding the lightest weights for my variators so the clutch engages at 4000rpm.
I can pop wheelies it's all in the gearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #77
curiousCat
Board Member

@everyone:

Back again! Received no update emails from the forum server until just this afternoon, and then saw what had been happening. Quite a number of rounds on different points. Hope all can stay in orbit for a while...

At any rate, I hear what everyone's been saying about a changeover to MT. Makes good overall sense in some ways. Probably too much to consider right now, with all the necessary hunting for bits and the wife's self-admitted appetite for gear metal. Glitterlube is definitely not my thing

That said, whatever beans get worked into the mix would translate into even better results when considering a possible future gearcase swap. Meantime, these cars all seem to have been endowed with locking converters (true?)

I've been diligently bumping around & getting a feel for other assorted stuff. Looks like we might be needing an upgrade to the ECU end at some point; as Rex Regina is the word here. MicroSquirt seems as though it could serve up some tuning relief and a bit of fun a couple steps "down the road." Great to see a Java-based product which runs anywhere in this space. Would also love to have the kit experience of the MegaSquirt 1 units; and need yet one more reason to grab hold of a scope I've been brooding over for way too long.

Also, seems as though there indeed isn't much in the way of pro headers ( likes of http://www.kgtrimning.org/700-ser/ex.../typ1-740.html ) on this side of the pond; although it seems as though stock would probably do the job for the time being. At the power/flow levels we're looking at here, bigger might not be better anyway.

Any tips on overseas companies which make performance stuff for these cars and will ship to the US?

Finally, someone mentioned ballast weights being smuggled into the front end of the 740 somewhere. Seriously!? If so, where?

Thanks again --
curiousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #78
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Only if your compression is 13:1
His static compression is around 11.4

Sounds GOOD

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #79
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousCat View Post
@everyone:

Back again!
Thanks again --
Dialog works best in these sort of cases as a question posed, answer back thing. Like this imagined dialog:

Crusty Old Geeza Who Has Built a Couple of Hundred "FUN" 4s: You willing to pull the head off so you can mill 1,6mm off?"

Student: "Well what about a computer upgrade?"

COGWHBCHF4: Uh willing to pull the head and mill 1,6mm off?"

Student "I was thinking abou" (SMACK!!!!!!!) Ooooowwwwwwwwwww!

COGWHBCHF4: Uh willing to pull the head and mill 1,6mm off?"

Student : Hey, Take it easy!

https://youtu.be/hWT9u6yPzKU

COGWHBCHF4: Again willing to pull the head and mill 1,6mm off?"
Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #80
curiousCat
Board Member

Hello John V, outside agitator.

Was wondering, but glad to finally know where I landed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mASr1djMM

(love the ties)

At any rate, you mentioned earlier,

Quote:
You can carve the fawk off the head and safely take compression out to at least 11;1 and you can use a cam designed to make some power and there's even chips for the ecu to fatten up the fuel and get rid of the stock 6250 rev limit...
And, as I mentioned in my reply,

Quote:
In the final analysis, I'd need to get to the goal without turning the car into a polished-fender octane poodle; and without tanking core reliability along the way.
So, in light of this, I'm probably not too interested in anything beyond stock in this particular area for the time being. Could be on the table for later, if necessary. Indeed:

Quote:
Might be enticed to entertain water-vapor injection, if such a system exists and would be absolutely necessary.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #81
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

I run "regular" 87 octane fuel in my 240 (b230) with the head shaved .040in and a B cam, and on stock lh2.4 management. WAY better than stock.
Total money invested would be about $200 to have a shop shave the head, gaskets, used B cam, and some shims. Takes about 4 weeks to do this the first time. I can now do head swaps (and set up a cam) in 3 hours while drinking beers.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #82
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Don't forget the tight squish measurements for when you put on the new head gasket.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #83
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Hello John V, outside agitator.

Was wondering, but

So, in light of this, I'm probably not too interested in anything beyond stock in this particular area for the time being. Could be on the table for later, if necessary. Indeed:

OK then. Now I don't know you and you don't know me so please don't get butt-hurt but (goddam I don't even know where to start)

"core reliability" whaddevar de fuq that is?
Nothing I might suggest will impinge on reliability..That goes without saying.. (And logically the same motors when turbocharged --making more heat, and stress (pressure) are as reliable as fawk----200-300k miles type reliability) and you won't be making near the heat, or pressure.
Non-issue

Computers ECU whatever: they're called collectively "engine management" for a good reason.. They "manage' what the sensors tell it the engine wants...They don't CHANGE what the engine wants...So if nothing in the engine is changed, like no different compression and camshaft, then the stock ECU and sensors and "stuff" does an amazingly wonderful job of managing what the engine "wants".

So if you're unwilling to take off 20-25 bolts and increase a basic fundemental factor in the equation---upping compression ratio and add a cam designed to make torque---ALL talk of computer and WM-einspritzung (wasser-metanol weisst du!) is just pissing in the sand.

Motors are motors: I think it was that brilliant Ruskie writer , yes Льва Толстого who said
"Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему."

I forget who it was who said "All happy motors are all alike, all unhappy motors are unhappy in their own ways"

(sopro tutto for a given fuel torque is largely engine volume x dynamic compression..

(somewhere somebody was fapping --as always about "blah blah flow blah blah flow flow" Don't be distracted, BS talk about flow is one thing: about max powerz, and nobody is talksing about MAX anything..Yours is a street/road car.. Also the guys blathering about flow ALWAYS neglect to imagine what happens AFTER the flow into the cylinder has flowed it:
You ignite it.
ALWAYS neglected by flow-fan-boys..
Its whataboutism and more fapping..)

So you can do whatever you want with your car...F88king around on external fluffery is fapping unless something mechanical has been changed to creat a different need that the original management cannot accommodate..

So. Good luck...
Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #84
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Don't forget the tight squish measurements for when you put on the new head gasket.
He ain't pulling the head so.....
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #85
soclosenotnear
Board Member

I haven't come across a vendor that won't ship to the United States. Most will, I'm certain. Ordering from abroad is effortless.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #86
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
OK then. Now I don't know you and you don't know me so please don't get butt-hurt but (goddam I don't even know where to start)

"core reliability" whaddevar de fuq that is? [...] So. Good luck...

Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #87
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
It's true! 240s have a much larger aftermarket support base!

I suggest finding a clean 240 to start with (the more of the budget you spend on the car, the better), ipd cam, cut the springs, double up the sway bars, gut the interior, straight pipe it maybe put some X tape on the headlights.
Its definitely much larger, but the 7 series aftermarket is still pretty large. There's ample stuff for both 2/7 gens.
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #88
curiousCat
Board Member

Thank you all for the insights.

@John V, outside agitator:
Tip: Get out of Seattle someday, if you can. Life can be good elsewhere. The wife and I cut and ran before the "mellow culture" mainstreamed there; best move we ever made.

Also loved California before it slipped into the drink. But truly, I digress...

We'll see about hitting higher compression numbers as it all develops. One thing at a time for now: haven't even committed to the car yet; taking a look this weekend. Surprising that the typical chemical dreck which passes for US pump gas nowadays can be burned in these engines beyond 10:1 without hitting massive continual spark retard; hence the H2O comment.

Also glad to have further input about these engines' overall durability in context with what's on the table here. The 230 must be well "overmade" throughout.

Glad the Regina system is quite usable and up to snuff as-is. You'd think it to be a plague the way some seem to consider it vs. the Bosch equivalent.

Cheers --

Finally, about those vendors/suppliers: Any favorites in the crowd?

Didn't make notes, but most I bumped into the past few days are .se on the web, and .se on delivery. For example, sent an email off to ACM asking details about a product & US delivery for their goods the other day; and got nothing back. Figured it might've been a language issue, but IDK.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #89
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Finally, about those vendors/suppliers: Any favorites in the crowd?
Well, this forum for starters has a ton of people with parts and whatnot, so definitely here. Skandix has tons of great parts but my #1 go to for things I cant get elsewhere form y 740 is SwedishCarParts.com

They are a Volvo parts and accessory company based out of Chicago with 3 warehouses FULL of everything you could need. Their factory is in Estonia where all their parts are made. Quality stuff at 1/3 the price of most competitors
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #90
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #91
Jack
junkman

If you want to get current quality prices order stuff from Hiperfromance Auto. Eric and Ian know what works, what doesn’t and where it’s worth it to save or spend more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote