• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo tachometer

Marek

I got this little jewel, its not the actual one in the picture, i was told it was from a 142

I plan on dropping this on the 244 when it receives its new b230ft (180k km)

210640_21.jpg

Did any of you ever come across this thing?
is it rare?

I just flipped out when i saw it as its all Volvo and cool!

cheers

IMG_1109.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen them before, though I think I sold mine (for a 122). They were made for 122s and 140's at the least. I'm not sure I've ever seen one in a 240, but I think it could look good on the 75-80 dash.

The foot that mounts to the dash seems to crack. Maybe have a look at reinforcing it when you install yours.

dash top tach

That's the accessory dash tach that Volvo sold. The 120 series version has a foot for the base. The 140/160 series version has a round base where it goes on the dash. Volvo recommended drilling the dash a bit to the right of the driver for installation. The trigger wire for the tach takes the place of the wire that would go from the distributor to the coil. It's a Smith's inductive type tach like the type used on Austin Healey Sprites, MG Midgets, and lots of other British cars. They are all rare. The rarest most likely being the 164 version which my 164 had.

PS It will work on a 240 with points ignition. Not sure if it would work on an electronic ignition 240. You would have to splice it in series with the white wire from the ignition box to the negative on the coil to try it.

Last edited:
I've seen them before, though I think I sold mine (for a 122). They were made for 122s and 140's at the least. I'm not sure I've ever seen one in a 240, but I think it could look good on the 75-80 dash.

The foot that mounts to the dash seems to crack. Maybe have a look at reinforcing it when you install yours.

Oh i will :) Or i will shield it properly and have it sitting on the hood along with Psi and oil pressure :p:p:p

Hoooooooot DAMN! i love volvo sh1t so much...

IMG_1109.jpg

And F#CK photobucket for lagging as hell. i cant flip the pic, whatever lol

Why not just get an instrument cluster tach and save dash space?:e-shrug:

All that space is meant to be used!!!! I like the old school dash in the brick :) i'll use the two gauge pods on the dash to put Psi and and oil pressure, and the tach will go wherever! I want to see it, in my face lol and i find it so cool i want to look at it :)

There are several types of that one, but they are really, really cool!

The mount, the colour on the needle, and if its chrome trim or painted silver is the things I know differs. I think those with red needle was in 123GT, but not sure.

Good find!

There are several types of that one, but they are really, really cool!

The mount, the colour on the needle, and if its chrome trim or painted silver is the things I know differs. I think those with red needle was in 123GT, but not sure.

Good find!

Oh its not painted, its actually an insert, i dont know what its made of feels aluminumish :p

Thanks!

The wiring on them is a little funky. Be sure of how you're hooking it up. You don't want want to fry it. Normal tachs have a +. - and a tach signal. This one has 4 wires...;-)

tach hookup

The tach is wired in differently because it's a British Smiths tach. :-P They use an induction circuit instead of a voltage triggered circuit. So in order to properly wire it in. The wire from the distributor to the coil is done away with. Then you install one (usually white if I recall correctly) wire to the coil terminal where the distributor wire was. Then the other wire that is the same color goes to the distributor. The wire internally is coiled inside the tach so it can pick up the signal inductively just like the way inductive timing lights work for example.

Back