• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 anybody ever had a brand new turbo fail ?

Talking about a CBV, I'd like to know what you used.

Pierburgs are unobtanium as NOS. You could use a Forge with a CBV connector, or a Bosch.

Compressor Surge is an ugly thing, which T3's don't tolerate at all.

compressor surge is the devil...i used the divertor valve off of an audi tt turbo. pics will show how its set up. and it works amazing, makes almost no noise and is nice and quick so it doesn't shock the turbo with a quick surge

ignore my ugly hose clamps.havent worked on cleaning those up yet lol.

now he has those and the reciept screenshot

Last edited:
... odds are the shaft is ruined now with as much play as there is.
I didn't catch this earlier...which brings up a few cursory checks to make;

- did the either of the wheels touch the housing?
- does the compressor wheel spin independently of the turbine wheel?
- if you look inside the turbine housing (inlet and outlet), and compressor housing; is there any visible damage, wear marks, oil leak paths, carbon burn/coking evidence, etc?
- if you pull the oil feed & drain lines off, are there any signs of visible blockage in both the lines, *and* the turbo center cartridge ports? (I know the lines are new but that doesn't preclude something flowing with the oil into the turbo or lodging in the lines)
- while you have the oil feed & drain lines off, blow through them (pressurized air if possible). Any restriction, or debris come out?
- how does your 20 mile old oil look, now that the turbo sh!t the bed? Still nice and amber, or black? Metal particulates in the oil?

Take all of the pictures he's asking for before you remove the turbo from the car to inspect these things.

cant see that the wheels touched.
no thank god haha, still boosts just fine
dont see anything odd- will know more when i pull the turbo off.
i did check that and blowed air through the cartridge and all seems ok
oil looks fine dont see anything odd,also unscrewed the mann filter for that reason and it looks fine to.

if you click them they open up bigger. and its the stock one i just sanded it really well and painted it, then cleared it. like said it was an amazing runner, no weird noises,pulled very well. just started smoking after it was warm. pulled my 02 sensors and they were oily...bad enough that to move it in the shop the car didnt want to start. eventually it fired up but its really leaking oil from something in there. its a damn shame cause i love this turbo, it spooled as fast as my 13c and made a way cooler noise haha

oil was brand new with the turbo (mobil 1 10-30)
flexible 5/8s drain line flowing the stock route with no kinks or sharp bends
i realize that now i was incorrect on the restrictor and its not a necessity but it does supply a good oil flow so we can rule that out.

Good work - Here on Garrett's page they recommend -10AN diameter *minimum* What is the inside diameter of your braided line??

and yes the turbo is shot...what bothers me is the way he is handling the return. he wants a receipt for my exhaust, muffler, catalytic convertor ( not equipped) all were installed my a local muffler shop that doesn't give receipts. also wants pictures or my recirculation valve, intercooler piping and engine bay. as well as reciepts for my oil feed and drain. then he will submit it to a turbo builder for warranty....so contrary to popular belief he doesn't build, rebuild or balance turbos he sends them off.and even though he sold a garbage turbo i have to pay all the shipping back to arizona. this guy is not standing behind his product at all.
Yeah, that's a drag, and if these installment requirements weren't stated up front and in writing from seller at time of delivery of turbo than it would bug me too.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem fair to seller to be dragging this out in public. He can't jump into this fray now. This is one to one between you and him. When it's settled, then start your frustration post...

its a 4an feed and a 5/8s outside nipple so I'm plenty good there.

your right..like said i started this to see what had happened or to se if i had botched something up and not realized it....it did tend to escalate from there lol.

this is what he told me as far as the break in.

"Please make sure the PCV system is working, the catalytic convert is not clogged (when in doubt, replace). Cranking the engine several times to build up the oil pressure to prime the turbo without starting the engine is a good way to get oil into the turbo easy and quickly. No other break-in is needed for the turbo."

ok so i got the turbo off. inspected every line within an inch of its life and all looks good.
the turbo seems to have the most slop up and down,slightly more than side to side and no in and out.
doesn't appear that the turbines have hit the housings anywhere

when its off i put my finger over the oil drain and very lightly blew air into the oil input side and it all just comes right out the exhaust side of the turbo so is blown out bigtime through there. the slop is pretty insane thought. much more than any t3 i have seen, good or bad.
i did notice that if you blow air down through it its fairly hard to do. (i noticed this even before i installed the turbo but didnt think twice.) is that normal ?

Turbo seals don't seal very well if the shaft is not rotating.

its a 4an feed and a 5/8s outside nipple so I'm plenty good there.

It maybe a 4an feed, but it's a small 2mm outlet.

oilfeedrestrictor.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Turbo-Oi...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No oil restrictor should be used with an oil journal turbo. The turbo's center section already have an oil restrictor build-in, a second oil restrictor would severely restrict the oil flow to the turbo during boost and cause the turbo to fail.

My turbo rebuilder will not warranty a turbo failure due to oil starvation.

I PMed the OP two options.

im admitting I was wrong guys...nobody ever told me that I couldnt run that flange...big lack of information on this one...I own tryingbe an apology. guess ill bore the thing out to full size and rebuild it..

Back