• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 OBD connector contacts

Chooch84

Hi,

I'm looking for help. I'm trying to find some OBD connecter contacts for a 1996 Volvo 940. I've browsed through over 500 contacts on Digi-key and rs-online trying to find something, the closest contacts I've found as JAE Electronics MX5-B-SG-C2-5000. Having ordered these, they're a loose fit but they lock-in and the male obd pin doesn't fit.

Does anyone know where I can find these connector contacts? Or are they obsolete?

FtPADgd.jpg

S4KyNY7.jpg

Any help hunting these down would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Chooch

'96 ? ? ?

That was not the standard interface for OBD in 1996 . . . in the US for 1996.

Cut the connector off and install the then/now connector. Might need a wiring diagram.

Look closely....

Now, pay attention: OBD-II was standardized, so one tester fits all...

Overview: The On-Board Diagnostic Connection System is designed to meet SAE J1962 specifications using ISO standard male terminals. The 16 Terminal Male Test Equipment Connector includes a nylon insulator with ISO standard copper alloy male terminals. The Female Vehicle Connector is designed for under dash application, and accepts 150 Series Metri-Pack tangless female terminals available in silicon bronze.connector.

Will this work?

GM OBD 2 DLC Kit 1996-up All Makes Diagnostic Connector w/ Terminals Panel Mount

The contacts have the locking fin on the wrong side, I'll have a look to see if I can get another picture elsewhere, the image might be inverted.

Just to clarify, I'm UK based and we had 940's sold to us until 1998, so we did have OBD II ports, whether they worked with generic OBD II readers at that time is a different story.

Thank you for your help so far!

Just to clarify

OBD and OBD-II have specific meanings...

EOBD - The European on-board diagnostics (EOBD) regulations are the European equivalent of OBD-II, and apply to all passenger cars of category M1 (with no more than 8 passenger seats and a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 2500 kg or less) first registered within EU member states since January 1, 2001 for petrol (gasoline) engined cars and since January 1, 2004 for diesel engined cars.[13]

So, goto a Volvo dealership in UK, and let the parts person find the right connector.

OBD and OBD-II have specific meanings...

EOBD - The European on-board diagnostics (EOBD) regulations are the European equivalent of OBD-II, and apply to all passenger cars of category M1 (with no more than 8 passenger seats and a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 2500 kg or less) first registered within EU member states since January 1, 2001 for petrol (gasoline) engined cars and since January 1, 2004 for diesel engined cars.[13]

So, goto a Volvo dealership in UK, and let the parts person find the right connector.

I had some other "OBD" contacts which I didn't try before. After chopping off one of the locking tabs to make it look like the existing ones, I managed to get it to work. See https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-contacts/7122056/ for part.

Thank you for the help.

After seeing your post, I was browsing the parts catalogue for 94-98 940's up and down but neither the OBD connector itself or the terminals are anywhere to be found in there, which is weird.
I even tried to look it up in the 850 parts catalogue because I thought they must be using the same connector, but same story.

Anyway, glad you found a solution.

Back