home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
Frank_Rizzo
Board Member

Default How to replace front emblem decal on 1984 Volvo?

Recently I purchased a replacement emblem, 70mm. It's just a sticky decal. How do I get this thing inside the casing on the grille? I assume you'd have to somehow open the casing, scrape off the disintegrated original emblem and stick the new one on, and re-assemble it?

How do you do this exactly? I can't find anything on the internet.
Frank_Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
Murploid1
Board Member

I recently also purchased a replacement emblem for my grill. My car is an 82 and I (stupidly) didn’t measure it- 70mm is too big. So, had to order a replacement smaller badge ugh...

Anyhow, I used a trim tool and a pick to pry the old emblem out, it’s glued in place. Persist and it will come out. I plan on using some sort of flexible adhesive to secure it. Just clean all the old adhesive out. Mine is prepped and ready to be glued when it arrives. I was going to use double sided tape but this will not allow it to sit flush.
Murploid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
Frank_Rizzo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murploid1 View Post
I recently also purchased a replacement emblem for my grill. My car is an 82 and I (stupidly) didnít measure it- 70mm is too big. So, had to order a replacement smaller badge ugh...

Anyhow, I used a trim tool and a pick to pry the old emblem out, itís glued in place. Persist and it will come out. I plan on using some sort of flexible adhesive to secure it. Just clean all the old adhesive out. Mine is prepped and ready to be glued when it arrives. I was going to use double sided tape but this will not allow it to sit flush.
Wait, I think mine was 65mm, I must have misspoken. 70mm is for 1986-1993, I believe.

Anyway, that gets at the crux of the issue. Exactly how did you get the old emblem out in the first place? It's encased in a space covered by acrylic in the front, metal in the back, affixed to the grille.
Frank_Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Wipe the old rondel with acetone or lacquer thinner let it dry, and put the new one right on top of the original.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
white855T
Board Member

The emblem is not glued in place. The emblem is applied with double sided tape. If you are using a genuine Volvo emblem, you must use double sided tape. Do no use adhesive, it will ruin the emblem(ask me how I know). If you are using a decal it can be applied over the original emblem.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Murploid1
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo View Post
Wait, I think mine was 65mm, I must have misspoken. 70mm is for 1986-1993, I believe.

Anyway, that gets at the crux of the issue. Exactly how did you get the old emblem out in the first place? It's encased in a space covered by acrylic in the front, metal in the back, affixed to the grille.
Like I said use a trim tool, pick, or small flat head screwdriver to pry it up, work it and it pops out.

White855t is correct regarding adhesive if you have a genuine emblem - they have foil paper on the back. Looks like I will be buying some thinner double sided tape..
Murploid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
TestPoint
Board Member

My acrylic cover is in bad shape from a couple hundred thou miles of road sandblasting and rock chips.
Pretty obvious that it cannot be polished out like a headlight lens.

Under cover would certainly seem to be a preferred solution and I might try to pry the old plastic and cut and polish a replacement

Maybe Dave Barton will comment.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460

Last edited by TestPoint; 10-20-2020 at 08:16 PM..
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Maybe Dave Barton will comment.
A photo of this thing the OP bought would be useful.
Dave B

'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because I like. B21FT, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD, hydro clutch, 3.91 diff with unmodified G80.
Volvo Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote