• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

+T went well, but I am not satisfied

JordanTBoehm

With a fresh turbo and nearly a month of dirty work, the automatic has got to be what's holding me back. I have a feeling it's a 3-speed, but I'm only guessing. I could sit here for hours bitching about this awful combo, but I'd rather move on. I would like to know what parts are needed for an M46 or M47 swap. I'd also like to know how much it might cost me in time and money. And lastly, some help figuring out what kind of automatic transmission I've got.

holding you back from what? if the car runs like **** in boost, it's not the transmission.

if it is indeed an 88 740 GL(e), it's probably a aw70 unless OP also swapped in a different transmission. There is an outside possibility of it being a ZF HP22 though as welll... does the shifter go 1-2-D or 1-2-3-D(or maybe it's OD. I don't recall exactly other than it's different)

It's a completely stock 1988 740 GLE, except for the turbo system. My shifter reads 1-2-D. Hmmm.... well, you're probably right about my boost problem not concerning the transmission. What could I diagnose?

a Volvo is only as good as the operator.

I 2nd that my 1988 740 turbo is a speed Demon.

your boost might be set very conservatively or you might have waste gate issues like its hanging open.or opening too soon

when you hit the gas that car should pin you to the seat if its running right.

if your trannny is 1-2-Drive and has the overdrive square button on the left side of the shifter then its more than likely an AW70

i have another car that has the ZF22 and its 1-2-3-d

do you know how much you're boosting?

have you done a compression check on the motor?

my old 87' 740 turbo with the auto was a fricken slug. It did decent on the highway or gear downs, but nothing compared to my current 90' 740 turbo with a m46. Both cars are stock ofcourse.

I just went for a drive along the highway. When I saw that it was safe to do so, I almost floored it. The "turbo" gauge's needle spun about three quarters of the way along the yellow strip. With that in mind, I went here: http://www.davebarton.com/740TurboBoostGauge.html. But on those special gauge faces, the yellow section starts at about 11 O'clock. Is there any way to figure out how much boost I'm running with a stock turbo gauge reading? I have not done a compression check on the motor. I know there's a compression gauge in my School's auto shop, but it's summer right now. This brick has 229,495 km's.

I do not have a wide band sensor installed. Fitz, I think it is my waste gate. It's probably open when I'm boosting. If that was my problem, would I screw the actuator rod in, or out? My shifter does have the square button.

And to all the forum elitists... if you have nothing useful to say here, keep it to yourself!

I'm not being an elitist. I'm just saying that you can search for all of the things that you asked.

You didn't even post what kind of car you had. A 3 second search on google lands you with the results of what transmission you have. It's easy to figure out what parts you need for a trans swap.

If you really want to know what kind of boost you are producing, forget about trying to guess at it with the stock gauge for now. Even if you dont want to keep it in the car permanantly, go to your local autoparts chain store and by a $30 boost gauge. Then we will have a little more to go on. If you werent having any transmission problem before the +t, you probably dont now. Check that your throttle and kickdown cables are on the spool correctly, if the kickdown cable is not tensioned right, the transmission wont start out in the correct gear and may feel like its slipping.
Be sure there are no boost leaks, and that your waste gate isnt stuck.
People may seem like they are giving you a hard time but without a little specific info, nobody is going to try and guess at your problem.

A while back someone told me that boost can be raised by turning that rod inwards... I don't think that's true. I hear a MBC is fairly easy to install. I kinda want to get one...

Back