• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Transmission Mission (advice needed)

Jyromefedx

Hello Brickers.
I am currently collecting parts for a 740 whiteblock swap.
My parts car a 1996 965 came with a busted Trans. No I don't know the issue and it's unlikely it can be troubleshot.

900 series are very rare in my part of North America, finding a donor trans wont be easy if I stick with Volvo.

From a few sections of ballpark research I have some data that this trans
AW 30/40 made by Aisin has a lot of brothers and sisters used in many cars also using Inline 6 Engines, but I haven't found anyone who has successfully converted one to Volvo.

I know a T5 Borgs Warner manual will fit on our Inline 5/6 but does anyone know if a GM Automatic will/has also work for what I am trying to replace.

Any resources sent my way will be appreciated.
Tak.

I have done a little reading around a similar line of questioning, hopefully those with more knowledge will dive in and correct me.

If you're planning on running the stock ECU from an early whiteblock (960, V or S90, 850) in theory it will communicate with the AW30-40 TCU. Obviously, you'd be limited to either an NA B6304 engine or a T5 from an 850, at least unless you had the ability to tune the stock ECU.

I found at least one claim of being able to bolt an AW30-40 bellhousing to a redblock AW71L transmission, which of course obviates the need for an electronic controls. I have a 245 that I'd like to put a mild T6 into, and if this is true, it's probably what I'll do, at least to begin with.

There are a number of adapter plates available for the whiteblock bolt pattern:

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artikla...r/adapter-plattor/volvo-vit-motor-/index.html

A few of those reference BMW engine codes, so it's possible that the automatic from one of those engines could be bolted up. But I assume most of them will have electronic control and you'd have to figure out a way to send the correct signals to/from the TCU from whatever ECU you ended up using.

Keep in mind that the AW30-40 came in RWD vehicles from other manufacturers and they (to my knowledge) all share the same bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern. This means that you can use adapter plates designed for other vehicles on a whiteblock RWD bellhousing. You can start by looking at adapter plates marketed for the 1UZ, 1JZ, and 2JZ. They came with an AW30-40/A340/A341. I've seen adapters for the W-series, R154, T56, CD009, and T5.

Firstly, thank you for the replies.

I have done a little reading around a similar line of questioning, hopefully those with more knowledge will dive in and correct me.

If you're planning on running the stock ECU from an early whiteblock (960, V or S90, 850) in theory it will communicate with the AW30-40 TCU. Obviously, you'd be limited to either an NA B6304 engine or a T5 from an 850, at least unless you had the ability to tune the stock ECU.

I found at least one claim of being able to bolt an AW30-40 bellhousing to a redblock AW71L transmission, which of course obviates the need for an electronic controls. I have a 245 that I'd like to put a mild T6 into, and if this is true, it's probably what I'll do, at least to begin with.

There are a number of adapter plates available for the whiteblock bolt pattern:

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artikla...r/adapter-plattor/volvo-vit-motor-/index.html

A few of those reference BMW engine codes, so it's possible that the automatic from one of those engines could be bolted up. But I assume most of them will have electronic control and you'd have to figure out a way to send the correct signals to/from the TCU from whatever ECU you ended up using.

I am aware of the engine to wire communications between engine and transmission. A few of the features are annoying, though an interesting one is the engine will decrease the amount of torque output right before the shift to smoothen the shift on the gearing.

I'm a rather unknown on this site. Brief background on my project. Parts car ECU unusable by me, so I bought a haltech 750 Elite, should work nicely.
If I can find a purely mechanical transmission it would be one less feature to worry about. Especially if it were possible to mate it with an aw70 since I have a few already.
Thanks

Keep in mind that the AW30-40 came in RWD vehicles from other manufacturers and they (to my knowledge) all share the same bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern. This means that you can use adapter plates designed for other vehicles on a whiteblock RWD bellhousing. You can start by looking at adapter plates marketed for the 1UZ, 1JZ, and 2JZ. They came with an AW30-40/A340/A341. I've seen adapters for the W-series, R154, T56, CD009, and T5.

It's always a blessing to hear from a Buchka.
I've failed to look at it this way.
You are saying since the other vehicles who originally were also designed to use the aw30/40 (the insanely popular Jap cars),that it would be feasible that any auto trans people are slamming the other engine in with would work for the whiteblocks.
This helps me out immensely at the very least I have a lot more research to do.

Would their be incompatibilities between a AW30-40 from a Jap car straight onto a volvo?

I haven't got any info about transmissions, but I am a fellow Sask brick owner! Send me a message if there's anything I might be able to help out with, or check out Sask Volvo on Facebook. There are a couple dozen of us around here that try to help each other out.

Ford AOD located. I have been doing research but a question I can't find an answer to has come up.
Please any Tranny Swapping Gurus lend me your words.
Which torque converter should i have to use. The Converter from the AOD or From the Volvo?

I'm having the same issue right now trying to hang a th400 on a whiteblock. The adapter is easy to source, but it looks like either a custom flexplate or converter.

The logic behind the AOD tranny I'm using is that the T5 manuals will bolt right up when the adapter is used. Meaning the T5 Borgwarner should have the same flywheel bolt points used with the Volvo clutch plate. SO the Automatic version used in place of the T5 being the AOD, should also carry the bolt points in the right location.... yeah?

No. Images of the Ford AOD flexplate and the volvo T6 flexplate show 4 bolts on the AOD , and 6 bolts on the Volvo flexplate.
Though the transmission input shafts for the torque converters look similar.

Last edited:
Jeep AW4 (A340H) is related. Not all Jeep Cherokee related Comanche trucks were 4x4. The Jeep AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions. The bell housing and tail housing are removable.

Last edited:

Hijacking the thread at bit, but if the bellhousing is the same as a 2jz's bolt pattern, would the Mk4 supras 6 speed bolt up to a whiteblock? Maybe the splines are different though.

There are some flaws in your plan.

1-for any of these transmission ideas, you'll need a Volvo 960 AW30-40 bellhousing. The adapters all bolt up to the bellhousings, not the block itself. The exceptions being the GM transmissions, for those you can get a block-to-transmission adapter plate. The Toyota and Jeep versions of the AW30-40 use bellhousings specific to the engines they were installed on, and won't bolt up to a whiteblock.

2-the AW30-40 can run without the TCU, if you don't mind doing a bit of wiring. You'll have full line pressure at all times though.

3-I've never heard of an AOD swap using the Volvo bellhousing, so I think you'll need to have a custom converter made to fit the Ford turbine shaft while using the Volvo flexplate, or something along those lines.

4-The AW70/71/72 bellhousing is completely different than the AW30-40, so it can't be used to adapt any of the transmissions above, without completely custom work.

There are some flaws in your plan.

1-for any of these transmission ideas, you'll need a Volvo 960 AW30-40 bellhousing. The adapters all bolt up to the bellhousings, not the block itself. The exceptions being the GM transmissions, for those you can get a block-to-transmission adapter plate. The Toyota and Jeep versions of the AW30-40 use bellhousings specific to the engines they were installed on, and won't bolt up to a whiteblock.

2-the AW30-40 can run without the TCU, if you don't mind doing a bit of wiring. You'll have full line pressure at all times though.

3-I've never heard of an AOD swap using the Volvo bellhousing, so I think you'll need to have a custom converter made to fit the Ford turbine shaft while using the Volvo flexplate, or something along those lines.

Thank you or your reply.
1. I have the full bellhousing, as I have a full 965 with a busted transmission.
2. This is what I'm very much hoping to avoid by going with an AOD, I want a dumb
mechanical transmission for more stability in the long run.
3. This is the stage I am currently figuring out, I figure I'll buy the transmission with torque converter for $200, find a fabrication mechanical shop and have them see if they can match the patterns.

Unless someone can outright offer a better mated auto-transmission solution.

you can also get rebuild kits for the aw30-40 pretty easily
Please link.

for the GM to redblock conversion, we use converter adapters, that way you don't really have to do something super creative to change converters (or try to explain to some shmooe what you're trying to do). The reality of it though is you could probably just make a snout adapter and spacers and be good to go.

for the GM to redblock conversion, we use converter adapters, that way you don't really have to do something super creative to change converters (or try to explain to some shmooe what you're trying to do). The reality of it though is you could probably just make a snout adapter and spacers and be good to go.

Thank you for replying.
I didn't know this option existed thank you.
Could you possibly link anything about the converter adapters used?

The snout adapter, I can't visualize what you mean by that.
Using the Volvo Torque converter or the Ford?

Long time since update, I have been working on other projects.
I have moved off trying a Ford AOD Transmission angle.

Option 1: without sourcing too much is an A340-E conversion from an A341-E, as we all know Volvos are the classiest of class, so they were given the same transmission used in Lexus cars. Another Vehicle scarcely uncommon in my parts. However A340-Es with just a little bits of direct swapping of components between my 960's transmission would work. http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Transmission-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?Transmission=A340E

Option 2: Adapter plates marketed toward the 2JZ (A340-E bolt pattern) with use of a TH400 transmission. Because I still don't want a computer controlled transmission and Chevy trucks well, they are plentiful.

Long time since update, I have been working on other projects.
I have moved off trying a Ford AOD Transmission angle.

Option 1: without sourcing too much is an A340-E conversion from an A341-E, as we all know Volvos are the classiest of class, so they were given the same transmission used in Lexus cars. Another Vehicle scarcely uncommon in my parts. However A340-Es with just a little bits of direct swapping of components between my 960's transmission would work. http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Transmission-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?Transmission=A340E

Option 2: Adapter plates marketed toward the 2JZ (A340-E bolt pattern) with use of a TH400 transmission. Because I still don't want a computer controlled transmission and Chevy trucks well, they are plentiful.

I (Deeworks) am close to you in Quebec and have a few transmission swap adapter available for the volvo platform.

It seems to me that you are over thinking the problem and should just go with a good used Volvo trans or get yours rebuilt. Just get one shipped out to you from any other Canadian owner? People are not swapping to th400 because they are cheap and plentiful/easy to rebuild but because they need a transmission that can handle the power a properly built redblock can do.

TH400 Converter to Whiteblock flexplate is currently under development but there is no set date when it will be ready. Hoping to offer both the Engine to BH Adapter, and the Flexplate to Converter adapter.

Back